Wednesday, July 11, 2007

trying to beat the humidity and rain

The weather here hasn't been too nice. It has been raining for the past couple of days, in Kyushu (southern Japan) they have been having major flooding. We have been having some rain and humidity too which makes going to get groceries not too fun, kind of depressing and non-motivating if you ask me.

I wanted to share with you some things I have been eating. Goya Champuru--I've posted about this before. We started eating this after our first visit to Okinawa about 4 years ago.

Hot and Sour Soup or Suanratan--I got the recipe from a book I have called "Tenyu"--it is relatively easy to make. It didn't taste exactly as I imagined it would, I think I may have to try making it again some time.

2 kinds of chilled tofu-this dish is perfect for warm days. A block of momen tofu (hard type soy bean curd) plus tamago tofu (savory soft egg custard), a little shoyu (soy sauce), the konbu (kelp) stock that the egg custard comes with and lots of okra on top.

Mushroom risotto made from dried mushrooms that Bourgogne sent me. (Thank you!)

Lastly, a cool dessert made by Seikanin. This one is called Kiraboshi (shining star). We had this on Tanabata. A clear ume (plum) flavored gelatin with yokan (jellied sweet bean paste)stars and sasa (bamboo leaf).

I hope your week is going well and you are keeping cool/dry where you are.

11 comments:

Rowena said...

Oooh...bittermelon and okra and you're just killin' me here with your food. Kat, the weather may be giving you the blues but your pics are making me happy! ;-)

Amrita said...

Looks really nice and healthy!

OkiHwn said...

About the tofu in the goya chanpuru, in Okinawa they usually break up the tofu into sort of ragged pieces by hand. To me it adds a bit of character to the dish.

We're gonna be hit maybe Thursday night or early Friday morning, with effects lasting until Monday. Are going to use tomorrow to "typhoonize" our facilities.

Finally going to get a close one after over two years! But too bad it's on the weekend.

K and S said...

Glad to be spreading some sunshine your way, Rowena!

Thanks Amrita!

After I cut the tofu, I remembered that you're supposed to break it up...next time. I hope you guys don't get hit too hard, Nate. I was in Okinawa one year and the power was out because of a typhoon--couldn't do anything.

Take care everyone!
Kat

ilingc said...

We're 'cool' here, not very dry though. It's been raining almost every day since winter kicked in. :)
The kiraboshi looks so cute and the hot and sour soup looks delicious too. Not too sure about the goya though.. ;)

K and S said...

I wish it were autumn here, Ilingc! Summer in Japan is one season I cannot get used to. Goya does have an acquired taste, but if you get a properly prepared one, the bitterness is very mild :)

Take care.
Kat

La Tartine Gourmande said...

hope your rain eases soon! The meal hopefully compensates for it!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say, love the first dish!

K and S said...

Thanks Beatrice and Bea!

Take care you two!
Kat

Anonymous said...

you're welcome. all that food looks too yummy. seems like your place is THE place to be! i wish i were there :D - bourgogne

K and S said...

You can come over anytime Bourgogne! :)

Take care!
Kat