Friday, July 20, 2007

home again

Satoshi came home safely and brought home several omiyage (souvenirs) for me--one was Furaibo, a fried chicken that is dipped in a sauce which is quite famous in Nagoya, chocolate chip cookies from Saipan and the biggest omiyage--his dirty laundry. You should have seen him, wheel in his suitcase and say, "I brought a big omiyage home for you"...I quickly said, "I don't want it"...

Later, we had a bit of a scare...as I was cooking dinner, I had put some veggies to roast in the oven, at the same time, the rice was cooking...all of a sudden the oven clicked off. Oh no! don't tell me we need to buy a new oven (although inside I was kind of hoping we needed to).

We pulled the plug, put it back in, checked the manual...it was looking like we needed a new one (yeah!). Then, I opened the refrig, hmmm, the light was off, but the sink and stove areas were still lit. I went to look at the breaker box and sure enough, the refrig breaker was off. I asked Satoshi to click it back on and the oven worked, the refrig light went on. But the rice was cooked half way...I had to take out the rice cooker manual to see what we could do, it turned out we had to re-cook the rice.

Even though the rice turned out a bit dry, it was still edible and at least we won't have to buy a new oven (although I still want a new one...)

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

I LOVE furiabo!! need to find recipe...

K and S said...

Jaden,
The one you emailed me looks like a winner! I hope you like it.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I would never have thought of Japan rice being better than Hawaii's, but it's something that I wouldn't even doubt! YOU get to use all the premium stuff there!

OkiHwn said...

What kind of sauce is it?

K and S said...

I dunno, Rowena, maybe it is my mom's rice cooker, her rice always comes out a little dry. The rice here in Japan seems to be fluffier, maybe it is the rice cookers here...hmmm...

Nate, the sauce that they put the chicken into after frying is a shoyu-garlic based sauce.

Take care you two!
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Just like the garlic chicken or mochiko chicken at home then?

K and S said...

Kind of Nate, but this one was a bit more dry. (Maybe because we always try it after it has been sitting out awhile.)

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Try the recipe I posted. Ono when eaten right away.

K and S said...

will look into your recipe, Nate!

take care.
Kat