Sunday, September 14, 2008

nuchi gusui part 2

After coming back from our vacation, I was kind of eager to get back into the kitchen to use the produce we got from Mirai Ginoza. Mirai Ginoza is a roadside farmer's market (there are actually a lot of these roadside markets here and there, each showcasing fruits and veggies from their area). Farmers from the area bring their veggies and fruits to sell. The prices were so reasonable, I wished I could shop here everyday!

Dragonfruit was going for about 200 yen each (about US$2), mangoes depended on the size, one was 900 yen (about US$9..okay that wasn't too reasonable...but the aroma was so sweet)!

Okra were longer than my fingers and were 100 yen a package (about US$1). The okra we get on mainland Japan are stubby and cost a little more, plus there are only 10 in a package, the one in Okinawa looked to have more.

Kabocha pumpkins were going for 300 yen a piece (about US$3), I've never seen a whole pumpkin in our markets.

Togan (winter melon) for about 300 yen a piece (about US$3)...for the whole thing! you'll never see this price in the markets on mainland Japan, especially for togan this big and fresh.

After oohing and aahing at everything that they had to sell, I bought some beni-imo (purple sweet potato), 2 for 200 yen (about US$2...not as reasonable as the roadside for 300 yen, but carryable on the flight home) and a pack with 22 shiquasa (I counted), a lime found in Okinawa, for 157 yen (about US$1.57)

With 10 shiquasa, I was able to squeeze 1/4 cup of juice and diluted that with water and added some blueberry honey to make a shiquasa drink for breakfast. (did this two times for two breakfasts, very refreshing.)

Also with some shiquasa (2 to be exact), I used it to make some fig jam (post on that a little later).

With the beni-imo (purple sweet potato), I steamed it. We ate part of it as is and it was really sweet. With the rest, I made a creamy dill dressing and we had beni-imo salad. 1 tablespoon mayo (Best Foods if possible), 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, several dashes of dill...delicious.

With the rest of the King's sweetbread that we got from Nate, I made some french toast for a breakfast and a bread pudding for another breakfast...delicious (thanks again, Nate!)

Did you know that Ginoza has a sister city in Italy? Thought that was pretty cool.

This little guy said it all "watashi wa shiawase" (I'm happy).

14 comments:

OkiHwn said...

The French toast looks so ONO!

K and S said...

Nate,
The sweetbread was so soft that it really soaked up the milk/egg mixture, you gotta try it :)

Take care.
Kat

The Howes Family said...

I loved seeing your trip to Okinawa. We are living here with the military and love this island. We have been here a few months so it is noce ot see where you visited. I will add them to our growing list of places to visit.
To bad I didn't know it ahead of time. Would have brought you some colgate!!

OkiHwn said...

One thing I really missed this year not going home at this time was eating Chinese pirie (or white pirie) mangoes from the tree at my home. The best mango every! In fact it's the only mango I eat, other than the common mango with shoyu and chili peppers.

OkiHwn said...

Hey, check out Tasty Island. Pomai finally went there and reviewed it!

Jenster said...

I adore farmer's markets. Where I live, you can find a farmer's market almost every day of the week during the summer but most of them disappear once fall arrives. It's very disappointing. I love going and finding bargains on food items that look and taste so much better than what you find in the supermarket. I also love to chat with the farmers themselves because they have so much good information and I learn new things from them all the time.

I'm drooling over all the ono-looking foods you brought home.

Deb in Hawaii said...

The french toast does look incredible! Actually everything looks great and some good prices too. I bought two dragon fruit today at the market for $4.00 each because I thought they would be fun to blog about.

Phoebe said...

I love fruits!! I love to binge on them!

Soooo good that you can get these fruits at great prices!

Anonymous said...

French toast and bread pudding made with King's sweetbread...two of my favorite foods!

K and S said...

Thanks Howes Family! I hope you get to see more of Okinawa while you are there :)

I miss pickled mango, Nate! I saw that Pomai went to BWS.

Jenster, I wish we had farmer's markets where we live!

Wow, $4 for dragon fruit, I hope they are sweet, Deb :)

I wish the prices here would be as reasonable as Okinawa, Phoebe.

It was definitely a nice treat, Lori.

Take care everyone!
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - That's quite a bounty...I'm not quite sure about the $9 mango though!

K and S said...

Yeah Kirkk, the mango was a bit of a downer, but the rest were very tempting for purchase :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

What a terrific spread! I'm particularly enamoured of the purple sweet potato - what a vivid purple!

K and S said...

Thanks Su-lin, the color is beautiful and it is really sweet :)

Take care.
Kat