Saturday, September 20, 2008

wow?!

The weather has cooled down quite a bit. We had some humidity, but it was due to the typhoon that passed by. Luckily, we got off with just a little rain and some wind. There are still some semi (cicada) chirping just to remind us that summer isn't quite over yet.

I usually don't buy iceberg lettuce, but since I wanted to make this recipe, I needed iceberg lettuce for the lettuce cups.

I couldn't believe that it was 380 yen a head (about US$3.80)! I don't ever remember it being that high before.

In fact, I think the last time I bought iceberg lettuce it was only 198 yen (about US$1.98).

So, instead of paying an outrageous price for the lettuce, I bought butter lettuce which was 158 yen a head (about US$1.58).

Since the lettuce was too soft to wrap the filling, I just chopped it up and made a warm salad out of it. (apparently, the last time I made this the lettuce was too puny to make cups out of, so I made a warm salad out of it too.)

Delicious.

I wanted to show you these "vintage" matches.

Awhile back I was talking to my MIL and asked her if she had extra matches, she said "yes, I do".

I told her, if there are several that you don't want, please give them to me as I was running out and most places do not give out matches anymore (I usually use matches to light my incense cones or incense sticks, plus I wanted to get rid of some of her pack rat clutter.)

To my surprise, she gave me a box filled with about 40 matchboxes! The other night, while I was rummaging through the box of matches that she gave me, I was surprised at how many looked like they were from the 1960's or 1970's, and they still work too....

Satoshi's working today, so it is just another day at home.

13 comments:

Jenster said...

I bet some of those matchbooks are collector's items! I would hold on to them if I were you.

Your salad looks delicious. And, yes, that does seem like an extremely high price for iceberg.

K and S said...

Thanks Jenster, hopefully I won't go through one of my throw out modes and dump them...

Take care.
Kat

Phoebe said...

ooo!!! Look at all that promotional material 30 years back! So well done!

haha don't throw them away, I agree with Jenster!

K and S said...

I'll probably have them for awhile, Phoebe, they still have matches in them :)

Take care.
Kat

Tea said...

Do you know that I've kept my favorite matchboxes from Japan? I have about four of them--not old, but so much prettier than what you get in the US. I keep on filling them with new matches when they run out. It's been ten years now and they're still holding up:-)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the lettuce was so expensive. I like how you adapted and found something cheaper. Your salad looks really good.

Quite a collection of matchboxes you have.

Paz

Anonymous said...

I would love to have your salad for my lunch today. I am alone at home and do not feel like going out for a lunch. Share your salad with me....yummmmmmmm.

The age of match boxes! surprised me.

A nice lively personal journal.

Helene said...

It is always amazing to see what items are going up at the market and which ones are cheap depending on the continent. I'll venture by saying that butter lettuce works so much better than iceberg for lettuce cups. You made the right move in my opinion.

K and S said...

Thanks Tartlette and Paz!

Come on over, Arya!

That is a great idea, I'll try to do that, Tea!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it's cooling down kat. It's still way too hot here!

K and S said...

During the day it is still warm, Lori, but at least for the most part the humidity is gone.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love those matchbooks and would put them out in a bowl to look at as they are so fun. Your recipe makes me crave lettuce wraps!

K and S said...

I was thinking to look into box framing, Deb or something like that. I hope you try the lettuce wrap recipe, super easy and delicious :)

Take care.
Kat