Tuesday, September 23, 2008

potato chips

I love potato chips, but the oil that most companies use aren't really good for you (that is probably why they taste so good!)

Anyway, I was reading La Fuji Mama and she was making sweet potato fries in her oven. Since I didn't have sweet potatoes (though I will try her recipe soon), I decided to try making potato chips in mine.

I sliced two "danshaku" potatoes thinly (note: be careful and don't nip the tip of your finger with the knife or in my case, finger nail...yipes! thank goodness there was the finger nail protruding...)

Dry potato slices and coat well with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

Arrange on broiler pan or piece of foil. I then sprinkled some salt and some Herb de Provence.

Stick into 220 C (425 F) oven for 30 minutes.

Makes a great snack or nice accompaniment to a salad.

NOTE:Growing up in Hawaii, I only knew of red potatoes, russett and yukon gold. In Japan there are several varieties of potato, the ones mostly seen in the markets are danshaku and may queen. The may queen variety is mostly used in stews and curries.

It is another holiday here, Autumn Equinox.

12 comments:

Phoebe said...

Oh tasty!! Using rosemary is delicious too!!!

K and S said...

mmm rosemary sounds nice too, Phoebe :)

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Somehow I'm reminded of the original Maui potato chips from years ago, when it was only available on Maui. Dating myself. So oily but oh so ono!

K and S said...

It had a nice crunch like the Maui style chips, Nate :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! Crispy and crunchy just like the fall leaves...a perfect treat to mark the start of Autumn.

This blog has been a real blessing to me, and I just wanted to send a quick thank you for sharing so many of your experiences and delicious recipes with everyone, I have learned so much from you and I am truly grateful. Even if only through a computer screen, sometimes I feel as though I'm right there sharing those yummy macarons with you haha!

All the best,
~Amanda

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Am now thinking of roasting some potatoes for dinner!

Jenster said...

Looks ono! Our family likes a brand of chips called Tim's Oven Bakes (they're based in the Northwest), which bakes thin slices of potatoes in canola oil and lightly coats them with sea salt. There's a lot less fat, calories and sodium, but they're still nice and crunchy and salty tasting.

I like your addition of rosemary to your chips. At home, I bake "french fries" in the oven by cutting thin wedges of potatoes, lightly tossing them in olive oil and then spreading them in a single layer on a baking sheet and baking them in the oven until they're crisp. I also sprinkle some paprika, pepper and sea salt over them. I tried adding rosemary before, too, and both my kids cried "yuck," but I thought it was delicious. Now that they're older and more adveturous, I'll have to try again. You inspired me!

K and S said...

I hope your kids will try them again, Jenster :)

Thanks Su-Lin :)

Aww, thanks Amanda :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I'm glad you didn't get your finger! The chips look really good and I love the thought of the Herb de Provence on them.

K and S said...

Thanks Deb :)

Take care.
Kat

Rachael Hutchings said...

Mmmm, your chips look heavenly! I'll have to try making some.

K and S said...

Thanks for the inspiration, Fuji Mama!

Take care.
Kat