Tuesday, September 16, 2008

shimogamo shrine

On Sunday, we went over to my MIL's to spend some time with her. I had seen an article in which Shimogamo shrine was a world heritage. I asked Satoshi if I had ever been there and he said, "no". So, the three of us hopped in a taxi and made our way to Shimogamo shrine.

When we arrived we were amazed to see so many people. Apparently, it was a festival to celebrate the full moon.

They were having a special exhibition of the kitchen area which prepared the sacred food offerings, so we paid our admission of 500 yen (about US$5) and explored the area. In the area, they showed the kitchen and tools used to prepare the food offerings, and there was also a carriage that had golden wheel spokes.

There was also a wedding hall. These shoes out front were for the priests (so shiny!).

We then went out the front gate and saw all the stalls with different wares like sake (rice wine), okaki (rice crackers) and mitarashi dango.

The mitarashi dango was made by a well-known shop in Kyoto, Kamo mitarashi-chaya. A line was forming and I jumped in as soon as I saw the dango.

Only 105 yen (about US$1) for a stick. The sauce was not too sweet, actually kind of savory (shoyu-sugary). Since they were still warm when we got home, we ate them before our dinner...Delicious.

It was a great day, plus we got to see the moon after dinner.

Shimogamo Shrine
59 Izumigawa-cho
Shimogamo,
Sakyo-ku, Kyoto
Phone: 075.781.4722

(You can see more photos on Tamakikat's blog, I didn't realize it but we were at the same place at almost the same time!)

14 comments:

Janet said...

Ohhhh, I LOVE mitarashi dango!!!

K and S said...

I hope you can get some where you are, Janet :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi kat, just wanted to say I love your photos..great shots and cool angles..really professional !

great job :)

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Looks like you had great timing....a nice bit of serendipity always makes things better.

Tamakikat said...

Glad to see you got some great photos and some delicious dango. I look forward to do a 'revenge' trip (=another trip to do things you missed out on for those not familiar wit Japanese) to the Shimogamo area.

Rowena said...

I'm really taken by how shiny those shoes are, and trying to imagine how the scene were to look if all of the priests are wearing them. Another great cultural exploration Kat, and tasty eats too!

K and S said...

thanks Shar & Kirkk!

I hope you get to try the Shimogamo mitarashi, Tamakikat!

I forgot to mention that those shoes are mostly for ceremony, Rowena!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Phoebe said...

hey Kat!

Wow so do you know what that festival in Japanese is?

The Chinese follows the lunar calendar. MoonCake Festival or Mid-Autumn festival (direct translation) are celebrated when the brightest moon of the year comes up.

Anonymous said...

Count me in as another fan of that shoe shot! Glad to hear you had a fun day. :)

K and S said...

I think it was called Meigetsukangensai (Harvest moon orchestral festival), Phoebe.

Thanks Lori :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Love all the pictures--the moon looks so pretty. I always enjoy how peaceful the shrines feel, even when crowded with people.

K and S said...

Thanks Deb! I'm not a fan of most places that are overcrowded with people, I feel it kind of ruins the "mood".

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I love mitarashi dango but 105 yen per stick is expensive. In hokkaido you can get a 3 stick pack for under 300 yen. Even in australia it's only $2.50.

K and S said...

I think it is great that you can get mitarashi dango so cheap where you are, Azumarisan!

Take care.
Kat