Wednesday, July 29, 2009

tonkatsu ginza bairin

Last week, I met my friend Mineko near her workplace for lunch.

Since we didn't know where to go, we went a couple of doors down to Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin.

I had heard about this place from Ono Kine Grindz.

As soon as you walk in, it feels like you've gone to Japan.

We ordered our lunches...I had their tonkatsu sandwich and she had their oroshi katsu (tonkatsu served with grated daikon and ponzu). (sorry no photos)

The katsu was delicious...light not oily feeling, the coating on the outside wasn't thick and it was made to order, not sitting around under a heat lamp.

We had a nice time chatting about what happened over the past year.

An hour was definitely too short to catch up on things, but I am glad I got to see her on this trip back. (Thank you!)

Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin
255 Beachwalk
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.926.8082

5 comments:

Deb said...

mmmmmm...my mouth is so jealous! light not oily, perfect coating...hm, maybe i better rethink my pasta dinner!

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate and enjoy your posts especially the ones from Hawaii. I have been thinking of trying this place for some time but it is difficult as there are only so many meals, too many ono places and my trips back home are too short.

Alan from Makiki

Deb in Hawaii said...

I had heard they were good there but have not tried it yet. It's going on the list. ;-)

KirkK said...

Oh Man....Now I want some Tonkatsu. Though it will not be nearly as good as what you had.

K and S said...

Hope you get some katsu Deb :)

I know Alan! too many places and so little time. I hope you get to try it on your next trip home :)

Debinhawaii, I hope you like it :)

I hope you get some tonkatsu too KirkK :)

Take care everyone.
Kat