Sunday, May 13, 2012

ninjin shirishiri

Having Okinawan ties, I am always interested in learning more about their food culture.

On a recent television show, I learned about this dish...ninjin shirishiri (literally grated carrots). Shirishiri is the okinawan word for surisuri which means to grate.

This dish is so easy to make, of course you can doctor it up with some salt or shoyu if it is too bland for you.

some olive oil
1.5 carrots, grated
1 egg, scrambled
salt
pepper

In a heated pan, add some olive oil, then, add your carrots and toss them around.

When they are cooked to the tenderness of your liking (I like mine almost raw), add the scrambled egg and try to coat all of the carrots with it.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

NOTES: This was so easy and delicious, perfect for a bento (boxed meal). I'm making this again.

p.s. I want to wish all my "moms" out there a "Happy Mother's Day"

7 comments:

Dennis K. said...

OMG, I've been meaning to make this a do a post of it but keep forgetting! We didn't do the eggs but instead crumbled tofu. So simple and good (and cheap). Thanks for the reminder Kat!

K and S said...

so easy yeah Dennis?! tofu sounds good too!

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - That is great for a bento!

K said...

This looks like a great bento side dish like you said, thanks for sharing!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk :)

Thanks K :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

I'm gonna put Dennis' and your idea together! Another one for MotH's daily bento box. ^-^

K and S said...

I hope MotH likes both versions Rowena!

Take care.
Kat