Monday, July 16, 2012

ige's lunchwagon

Mom's been wanting to eat these BBQ spareribs for some time now.

They're from Ige's Kitchen. Ige's is a popular catering company in our area, I think the owners are Okinawan?!

Growing up, I swear at almost any graduation or funeral, you'd find their food being served.

Anyway, their food is good, well, except their mac salad, in my Mom's opinion.

Mom was bummed because their mac salad only had macaroni and mayo. She was also jealous, because in my bite of mac salad, I had bits of celery.

Their BBQ spareribs are super meaty and fall off the bone tender. And I love the cartilage part of the pork.

And for $6.75 (tax included) this was a steal, not to mention we have enough for another meal.

We'll be back.

Ige's Lunchwagon
98-025 Hekaha Street #16 (Harbor Court)
Aiea, Hawaii
Phone: 808.486.8728
Monday-Friday: 10:00-13:00

14 comments:

Dennis K. said...

Mouthwatering...

K and S said...

I think you would have enjoyed this one Dennis :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Yum, especially if you are hungry as I am right now. :)

May I ask you something else that has nothing to do with food? Why do Japanese people always show the peace sign in photos? I would really like to know that, and you are the perfect person to ask that. Uh, sorry for my curiosity...

Sandy

K and S said...

Thanks Sandy! I will ask my husband why they do that, and hopefully he'll have an answer for you.

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

never mind asking Satoshi, Sandy, here's a great link explaining it...http://patrickmccoy.typepad.com/lost_in_translation/2008/04/japanese-custom.html

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

These spareribs look just like the sweet and sour ribs that they serve :) Was just here and had the turkey plate. They make a good beef stew also. Dont order the pork teri though..its not the best. Tons of meat but not so tasty.

Incidentally I was at a funeral recently and iges was the caterer. Must be a lucrative business :)

KirkK said...

Nice...another one for my list! Our family has a tradition of ordering from Fukuya for funerals.....

Rowena said...

In regards to the previous post....here we have a place that is able to keep their prices in line and still offer quantity and quality. I wonder how?!

Anonymous said...

Many thanks, Kat!!!

sandy

K said...

Too bad about your mom's Mac salad, but those short ribs look delicious!

K and S said...

Thanks for the heads-up Anon!

Hope you like this place, Kirk!

dunno, Rowena, dunno.

indeed K!

Take care everyone.
Kat

K and S said...

you're welcome Sandy!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Being an expat Hawaii guy, I am embarrassed to admit that I have never heard of, or ate at, Ige's. Yup, I really miss the good ol' plate lunches. Have you tried the original L&L Drive Inn lately, the one on Liliha just makai of Kuakini? Tell me if they are still good. But make sure you go to this one--the others suck pretty bad but this one is still run by the original founder of the L&L restaurants.

K and S said...

no prob Anon! dunno if I'll get to L & L, they are getting kinda sparse around here though...

Take care.
Kat