Monday, September 24, 2012

flat cafe

It had been 8 years since we checked out Flat (pronounced eh-flat) Cafe (pre-blog).

Since then, they moved the cafe from their spot a couple of streets down and brought it right above their bakery.

Pre-blog, they only made 80 rolled cakes a day. Not sure if that is how many they make these days.

The cafe traffic was really light, just my friend Hiromi, me and a separate group of women.

For lunch I ordered their dry curry which came with a carrot salad and drink of choice (I chose iced coffee)...1400 yen

The curry was way too salty for my liking, but the carrot salad was dressed with a nice citrus dressing, very refreshing.

Dessert was a slice of their rolled cake...420 yen.

The picture doesn't do it justice. It is 1/3 of the roll!

Light, airy, the texture was like chiffon cake and not too sweet, filled with fresh whipped cream. I was happy that they hadn't lost their touch.

Don't think I would go back for lunch, but would happily go back for tea time!

Flat Cafe
3-18-8 Uenohigashi
Toyonaka, Osaka
Phone: 06.6857.1266
Closed Wednesdays
Hours: 10:00-18:00

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things I loved about my visit to Japan - so many little cafes. It seems like every Shotengai has a couple of them. My daughter and I would take a break from signtseeing (shopping) with a cool drink and a pastry and I would usually be the only male in the shop!

Alan

K and S said...

if it was during the weekday, you would most likely see women in cafes, whereas you would find men in coffee shops, Alan :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Seems like a nice little place!

K and S said...

it was nice, Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat

Dennis K. said...

The roll cake - i can tell by the scale of the fork that it's a good portion!

K and S said...

it was massive, Dennis, in a good way :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

That cake DOES look huge!

K and S said...

Rowena, I'm glad it is quite a distance away from where we live, otherwise I'd be there everyday :p

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Ooh that roll cake looks delicious!

K and S said...

it was really good, K!

Take care.
Kat