Sunday, September 30, 2012

geppei

Geppei is the literal Japanese translation for mooncake.

When I was in Hawaii, I saw many bakeries and stores selling mooncake, getting ready for the Moon Festival, which I think starts today.

Anyway, in Hawaii, the price for one was kinda shocking...US$4 or $5?!

I found one here at the supermarket and apparently they have this all year round.

It was a little smaller than the ones I saw in Hawaii and this one was only 69 yen!

The insides are sweet bean paste and walnuts. The texture reminded me of steamed manju. Maybe not traditional, but it was delicious.

This one was marked "tokusen" or special. I think it was a little bigger and a little fancier than the first one I tried.

The price was a little more too at 115 yen.

The inside seemed like the same type of filling with the sweet bean paste and walnuts.

I had this one with some green tea. Delish!

I don't think we'll be able to see the moon tonight because there is supposed to be a typhoon approaching, so if you can see the moon where you are, enjoy it!

6 comments:

KirkK said...

The moon does look really nice here tonight Kat!

K and S said...

cool you can see it Kirk, I am presently looking at sheets of rain :)

Take care.
Kat

The Knudsen's said...

Take care in the typhoon! It hit us here in Okinawa HARD! Although I am sure that it has died down a bit. But the moon is beautiful here tonight! Gorgeous! By the way thanks for your blog! I love reading it! =)

K and S said...

Thanks Knudsens!

Hope all is well in Okinawa.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I remember the bigs ones that you can find in Hawaii, but never remembered the price then. No moon at ours since it gets cloudy at night, and hope the typhoon doesn't cause too much trouble!

K and S said...

Rowena, we had lots of debris (leaves, branches), but nothing really major, thank goodness.

Take care.
Kat