Wednesday, April 10, 2013

re-connect

Met up with Y the other day. It had been several years since I last saw her.

Her husband is Satoshi's university classmate.

The first time I met his classmate, H, was in Hawaii (pre-blog), at that time, the two of them would kick each other saying "shi-ne" (she-nay which means "to die").

I was quite shocked by this form of "bonding" and once questioned Satoshi about it. I told him, "I know you guys are just joking, but what if he really did die?!"

Satoshi's since stopped this form of joking & bonding...

Anyway, Y and I met up at Nishinomiya Gardens, a large shopping mall on the grounds of what was once Nishinomiya Baseball Stadium.

We had lunch at Chinois Chuka (which translates to Chinese Chinese).

The appetizer, soup and rice is pre-set, you just choose your main dish...1500 yen.

And for an extra 480 yen, all-you-can-eat desserts and drinks (coffee/tea)

The appetizer was a marinated squid with some veggies.

Soup was an egg drop soup.

Rice was something steamed with some veggies in it (we weren't quite sure what was in there...)

And we both chose a fried sawara (spanish mackerel) topped with some veggies and a kurozu (black vinegar sauce).

Everything was delicious.

We both hit the dessert line twice.

There was lots to choose from. You could even make your own waffles if you wished (in Japan they eat pancakes and waffles as dessert).

It was a leisurely lunch. Lots to catch-up on. In the end, we were asked (kindly) to leave so that they could prep for dinner...

I'm glad we were able to get together. Thanks Y!

Chinois Chuka (UPDATE:2017 no longer in business)
Nishinomiya Gardens 4F
Phone: 0798.61.0041
Hours: Lunch 11:00-16:00, Dinner: 17:00-23:00
Closed when the mall is.

8 comments:

Rowena said...

Ha! I would keep hitting that dessert section too, but hearing that you gals got the "boot" sounds like you both had a super great time.

I've got your feed on My Yahoo page now and it was nice to see an update w/photo. I think I'll try out my rss feeds here until something irks me enough to look for another solution. Google reader, shame on you for making me have to do this!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena :) I didn't know my yahoo had a page, should look into that, though I was having probs opening yahoo mail at one point, which is why I switched to gmail...

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

You closed the place down, plus two trips through the dessert line. Sounds like a great time Kat!

K said...

Ooh, a dessert buffet - love it!

Anonymous said...

Nice reunion with good food. :-)

K and S said...

lol Kirk, good times indeed :)

lots to choose from K :)

indeed Paz :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

LOL... I remember that "shine!" joke was around one time (I was still in Japan). We don't really have F word but the way we speak can be so cruel, even as a joke, English translation can be so strange!

K and S said...

I agree that sometimes jokes can be cruel, Nami!

Take care :)
Kat