Monday, February 25, 2019

supermarket finds

It's been awhile since I've seen yakiimo ((yah-key-ee-moe) roasted sweet potatoes) at the supermarket.

Since the market I was at was roasting some, I picked up one for us to try.

The variety that they were using is called Benitenshi (literally pink angel) from Ibaraki prefecture. (how cute is the package?!)

The sweet potato was HUGE! and I appreciated that they weren't charging by weight...just a flat price 298 yen (plus tax).

This was so sweet and moist! like they added cream and sugar to it!

To tell you the truth, I hadn't bought sweet potatoes in awhile because whenever I would steam them, they would come out quite dry.

I'm glad we got to try them this way and will definitely buy again when I see it.

4 comments:

Rowena said...

awesome finds Kat ^-^

KirkK said...

One of the Missus's favorite things....though they can be quite expensive.

Anonymous said...

Seeing your pix of yaki imo, we were walking thru Nishiki Market and saw a yaki imo stall...1 piece 350yen. O!M!G! Itwas awful. She gave us 2 tiny imo each only about finger length in size. One piece was totally inedible, burnt and dried.
V

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena!

I agree Kirk :)

Oh no V!

Take care you two.
Kat