Sunday, February 03, 2019

supermarket finds

Some finds at the supermarket...Otohime tomatoes from Wakayama...so sweet!

Shungiku (edible chrysanthemum greens).

I've put them into our nabe (hot pot) but I also tried it as gomaae (dressed with sesame seed).

After rinsing them, I cut them into bite sized pieces then wilt them in a non-stick pan.

When it is wilted, I stick them into cold water to stop the cooking.

Squeeze out the water then used my favorite sesame dressing to make shungiku gomaae...fast and easy.

Aretta, is apparently a cross between kale and broccoli.

I sauteed the leaves with some spicy pork then put them onto ganmo.

Ganmo (also called ganmodoki) is a fried tofu filled with carrots and some gobo (burdock root).

I bought the ganmo from Kondo Tofu...60 yen for 1 piece (I bought 4)...so cheap and good!

Purple carrots so dark that they almost look black!

Are there any interesting veggies you've found at your market recently?

p.s. today is Setsubun, if you are eating ehomaki (uncut futomaki sushi) the direction to face is to-hoku-to (east-north-east)

3 comments:

KirkK said...

Love the tomatoes in Japan Kat. The food looks good.

Rowena said...

would love it if there were those edible chrysanthemum leaves here, but the only unusual finds are more varieties of mandarines, clementines, or a hybrid of both. oooh, now that's a post idea!

K and S said...

Kirk, so different from the tomatoes in the US, yeah?!

Rowena, just came upon Japan grown blood oranges, hope to pick some up soon to try!

Take care you two.
Kat