Friday, March 12, 2021

this and that

My foreigner card's expiration date is coming up, so last Friday, we went to get it renewed before we left for Kyoto.

We appreciated that we didn't need to wait in the long queue that was was snaking around out in front of the building, but what a mess it was inside!

No signage as to what needed to be done (probably more so because of the pandemic)...thankfully though we were in and out rather "quickly" (30 minutes give or take)...

These days whenever we go to Kyoto, we always pick up some doughnuts from Kamo Donuts.

They are kitty corner to where MIL lives, so we just run across the street and get our fix.

Since I was cleaning all day with SIL, I totally forgot to wear a mask when I went to get these (though I probably should have worn one with all that dust)...luckily the guy working there let me just cover my mouth with my hand and point at the showcase.


Another thing we eat whenever we are in Kansai is 551...

Since BIL had bought pizza for our lunch on Monday, Satoshi picked up an assortment of items from 551 for our lunch on Tuesday.

I was impressed that Satoshi remembered that MIL loved these anpan from Kokoroniamai Anpanya and picked some up for her.

We placed some on MIL's altar and we also enjoyed some too.

SIL said she has always wanted to try these but was never willing to line up for them, I'm glad she got to try them.
I thought I was pretty good at purging, but my SIL has proved that she is the queen of purging, so I brought back a few dishes from MIL's stash as they may not be there the next time we go to Kyoto for MIL's 49 day service in April...


Itami Airport got a face lift just as we moved to Tokyo in 2018, it was our first time seeing all the changes and we loved how spacious (and new) everything looked.

Tokyo's numbers seem to have plateaued in the 300 case range. 

When we went to Kyoto/Kansai by plane, I was shocked that it was a full flight.

Even if we all wore masks during the funeral and cremation, we did have meals with family (which was totally out of my pandemic comfort zone), so hopefully we all will be okay.

Have a safe weekend.

8 comments:

jalna said...

Uuuuuu to the donuts. Eek to the full flight.

Anonymous said...

I remember that when we went to eat hitsumabushi, the sake set and other dishes were the same or very similar designs with the reddish plates you got. So pretty and differs from the blue designs more commonly seen. That bowl with the cover looks antique!
v

K and S said...

Jalna, I know full flight🙀

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Yes the red is pretty V.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

love.those.dishes! man Kat, I don't know how you guys do it with a 300-count plateau. I mean, our numbers are going up because of this damn english variant! we're on red alert until april 6th....unless the numbers somehow explode in the next 3 weeks.

K and S said...

Rowena, we are on state of emergency until 3/21 and it sounds like the government will end it despite the numbers. I think they need to be a little stricter if they really want our numbers to be lower...our variant numbers are slowly creeping up...hoping your numbers go down soon!

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

Lovely dishes. Looks like things are settling down here and we'll be going to the next phase of reopening for now Kat. That full flight sounds scary.

K and S said...

Kirk, the only thing good about that full flight was that everyone wore masks and did not speak.

Take care!
Kat