Wednesday, August 04, 2021

hatsubon

Over the weekend BIL had a service for MIL's hatsubon.

If you are interested as to what hatsubon is please look here.

Since everyone's case numbers have been going up, plus it is so miserable and hot, BIL said that we didn't have to come.

I think we should've gone, but Satoshi said "if BIL said no need then no need go" (well he didn't say it in pidgin...)

The only reason I am relieved that we didn't go is because Satoshi always eats and drinks too much whenever we all get together which is not good.

Since BIL held the service at his home, we sent some Japanese sweets to give as offering.

And the other night for dinner we had unagi, which is MIL's favorite.

I hope to get some flowers to place in front of her photo today.

Missing you MIL.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Japanese buddhist tradtion.
Only thing I remember is my grandma having hotokesama(?) and every night putting rice and having fruits and flowers. We did go to memorial services too but as the years passed, went less and less.
v

K and S said...

Thanks V, glad you found this interesting:)

Take care!
Kat

Saburo said...

I was just about to blame the new pidgin accent on the first jab...

jalna said...

Glad you didn't have to travel.

K and S said...

Jalna, me too:)

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

lol Saburo:)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

I can just imagine Satoshi speaking in pidgin Kat! ;o)

K and S said...

ha! Kirk…did you know he says da kine..dah key neigh?!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I was ready to give Satoshi a virtual high 5 for the pidgin but then you clarified. MotH's favorite is 'ainokea'.

K and S said...

ha ha Rowena:) I like MotH’s favorite word, did you buy him a t-shirt? I think it is local brand:)

Take care!
Kat