Monday, August 09, 2021

kyusuke

Learned something new the other day.

We picked up these tiny baum kuchen at Benny called kyusuke baum.

I looked online to see how to read the kanji and learned that in the factories, namely senbei/arare (rice cracker) factories, they called the broken pieces or imperfect items “kyusuke”.

They usually sell kyusuke for a reduced price because of the imperfections.

These were moist and delicious and if there were any imperfections we didn’t know what they were.

I'm glad we tried this and learned something new in the process.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was called something else like kasu-something. Learned the proper word!
I used to buy the giant arare like that because would be all broken by the time I got home anyway plus they had assorted types in the bag
V

K and S said...

V, we sometimes buy the arare that is broken too:)

Take care!
Kat

Rowena said...

I love that second photo - such a delicious treat!

jalna said...

They look fine to me. I would totally go to the "kyusuke" section.

K and S said...

indeed Rowena:)

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Jalna, Cannot go wrong with these yeah?!

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice post Kat!