Thursday, August 26, 2021

tamago senbei

Tamago senbei or tamagosen for short is a type of b-kyu gurume that is often seen at matsuri (festivals).

Satoshi said that growing up he and his friends would go to a dagashiya (candy shop) to buy snacks after school.

Using their kozukai (pocket money) they would buy ebisen (shrimp crackers) topped with okonomiyaki sauce.

I asked him about takosen (shrimp crackers topped with takoyaki).

He said that takosen was too expensive for the amount of  pocket money he normally had which was about 100 yen (like $1).

I don't remember ever trying this, so I made some for our lunch yesterday.

I juilienned some cabbage and then wilted it in a non-stick pan.

I also squeezed out as much liquid as I could from the wilted cabbage.

Then I pan fried an egg for each of us.

Topped the ebisen (shrimp crackers) with cabbage, the egg and then drizzled some okonomiyaki sauce, mayo, bubu arare (since I didn't have tempura bits) and some aonori.

Messy to eat but so so good!

I think the egg needed to be cooked a little longer so that it wasn't oozy when eaten.

I loved how crispy the shrimp crackers stayed even with all the toppings.

And the sweet salty combo from the okonomiyaki sauce with the shrimp crackers is so so addicting.

Since it will be awhile before festivals are allowed again, I will definitely make this again when I am in a pinch to make something for lunch.

8 comments:

jenny said...

Can you and satoshi just move to Hawaii and you open a cafe that I go to everyday to get fed???? I would pay of course lol.

Anonymous said...

this is so interesting. whodathunk you could do this with senbei, but seems like they use the premium kind, not the local kind, so yah, it would come out to pretty much $1 a piece.
And, I've been thinking, I think it is because of you that I gained 10#! LOLOL
v

K and S said...

ha ha Jenny!

Take care:)
Kat

K and S said...

ha! V:)

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Wow! Cool idea!

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna:)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I gotta say that you guys have the most amazing things to nibble on - yum!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena it is the only exciting thing we do these days.

Take care!
Kat