Monday, March 07, 2022

15957

Saturday...Satoshi had some things to do, so I went holo-holo...

I started from Ueno station and walked towards Asakusa.
I went past Chibaya and noticed there were quite a number of people with these paper bags...

so I went back and bought some daigaku imo....400 yen (tax included) for 200 grams.
Apparently they have been in business since 1950.

The pieces of sweet potato are so big, tender and the caramel that is used is soft like honey.

So delicious…I want to try their fried version next.
I've been wanting to check out Konohana...they have been baking since 2008.

Their starter is made from raisins and they use flour that is farmed in Japan.

I purchased their small campagne (country bread), chocolate bagel and lemon cake...the bagel was sourdough based, bummer the chocolate was unevenly placed, when I cut the bagel in half, only 1 serving would receive chocolate…

The lemon cake was delicious, moist with a nice amount of lemon flavor.

I served half of the campagne with soup for our Sunday dinner. 

The bread is dense and a sourdough base, loved the crunchy crust when we toasted it.

I’ll be back when I am nearby.

I stumbled upon Sekine...which apparently makes nikuman (steamed pork buns), anman (steamed buns filled with sweet bean paste) and shumai and has been in business since 1935.

I was disappointed that there was a "meatball" inside not loose/minced meat filling...260 yen (tax included)

It was tasty and I'm glad I tried it.

I also picked up some imo yokan and anko dama from Funawa.

Apparently this shop has been around since 1902.

The imo yokan is just sweet potato, sugar & a little salt. No preservatives, so you need to eat it by the next day. 

It isn’t too sweet and very dense.

The anko dama has a kanten (agar) coating, and is delicious.

They also have strawberry, matcha, mikan(tangerine), coffee and white bean flavored anko dama.

I’m glad we tried these.

Then I walked back towards Ueno, past Kappabashi.
Some interesting store fronts…Sekishin recycle shop.
A really old dentist office...still in business since 1929.
Picked up some things at Takeya and made my way home.

The weather is starting to warm up but it was super windy...still it was nice to be out and about.

Konohana
3-25-6 Asakusa
Taito, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3874.7302
Closed Sunday, Monday & Tuesday
Hours: 10:30-18:00

Chibaya
3-9-10 Asakusa
Taito, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3872.2302
Closed Tuesdays
Hours: 10:00-18:00

Sekine
1-23-6 Asakusa
Taito, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3841.5230
Open daily 11:00-20:00

Funawa
1-22-10 Asakusa
Taito, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3842.2781
Hours: 10:30-19:00

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really was a trek! Has the crowds at Takeya gone down since no tourists? Miss Kappabashi too.
Never acquired the taste for that candied sweet potato, even though I love sweet potato, but that looks ono. Maybe because fresh.
v

jalna said...

Nice, loooooong walk!

KirkK said...

Glad it's getting warmer where you're at Kat! And that baozi looked huge!

K and S said...

V, Takeya was still krazy!

long indeed Jalna!

it was Kirk, but filling was disappointing.

Take care everyone.
Kat