Friday, March 18, 2022

this and that

One thing you cannot find in Kanto (Eastern Japan) are ka-ru (curls) similar to cheetos made by Meiji.

Wasn't ever really into these when we lived in Osaka, but bought them for our Friday/Saturday pupu parties.

Kamogawa....Kamo river.

Sunday was overcast and super warm.
We tried Kamogawa, a Japanese sweet made by Choseido, which has been in business since 1919.

This sweet is supposed to represent the clear water of the Kamo river and the river rocks that you can see in the water.
We also tried the Chosei mochi...kinako mochi...so soft...delicious.
Since we had nothing else to do (no tv or wifi)...Satoshi worked on his videos.

He can do them himself using an app...yeah!

I'll post some of them later...shh!
I was so bored that I took pictures of all sorts of things.

Like this bottle of sake...Kyochitose.
Some things I brought back..the bells that were attached to my Mount Fuji hiking stick.
A koa clock I found in MIL’s stash that I think my mom gave to her that was made by my Uncle Herb.
A wind chime I found in MIL’s stash...love the sound of this one.
Gonna see if Book Off will buy this MD player.
Cute robot at the Haneda Airport Information Desk, guess they have replaced people...
This monaka made by Suehiroya, this Japanese sweet shop has been in business for over 70 years and is  located on the way to the family grave.

Bought some of Satoshi's favorite tsukemono, suguki and red turnip.
The neighborhood kanhizakura tree has started blooming.
Had to make space since "someone" is not ready to danshari (purge), he sent 5 boxes from Kyoto to Tokyo...can you believe those boxes originally came from Hawaii?! (which means he has not opened them for over 20 years?!) sigh.

Have a safe weekend.

Choseido
22-1 Shimogamo Kamikawara-cho
Sakyo, Kyoto
Phone: 075.712.0677
Closed Mondays & Tuesdays
Hours: 10:00-17:30

Suehiroya
3 Sennyuji Suzumegamori-cho
Higashiyama, Kyoto
Phone: 075.561.6043
Open Daily 9:00-17:00

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

even though it was for MIL's memorial service, what a nice trip. Must have been antsy though with no tv or wi-fi.
I took my travel companions to see the Kamogawa, the part that has the turtle and plover stones but it was the day after a typhoon so the river was a little fast, couldn't walk over the stones.
v

K and S said...

V, if I were braver (scared of the cockroaches or rodents), I would’ve dug more into MIL’s stash, she has closets filled with stuff.

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Kinako mochi . . . yummmm. Five boxes . . . aiyaiyai.

K and S said...

Jalna, AND he has more to send to Tokyo…we gotta move to somewhere bigger.

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Looks like a nice trip Kat! But no wifi!!! Whoa.....

Saburo said...

BTW... I also invested in minidisc some time in the early nineties. Best decision ever, if only to rid myself of the bane of cassette tapes! I still have my MD home deck plugged in. Found and played some of my old mixes during lockdown...

K and S said...

Kirk, MIL's house so no wifi...brutal :)

Saburo, MD home decks are worth $$ here, apparently cassettes are making a come back too.

Take care you two.
Kat