Monday, May 23, 2022

bakudan bowl

Bakudan Bowl...I've only seen this on the menu at Ootoya, a popular chain restaurant, but apparently a lot of izakaya also serve this.

Ootoya's version has a raw egg in the middle of the bowl.

Bakudan literally means "explosive", "bomb"

Super easy and delicious.

Put your favorite toppings.

Here is what I used.

Cooked rice : 90 grams for me, 180 grams for Satoshi

Sashimi (bincho maguro (albacore tuna), and buri (yellow tail))

Tomatoes

Edamame

Kim chee

Natto

Yamagata style Dashi

To eat: 2 teaspoons dashi shoyu

Korean nori

NOTES: you could also use wasabi to eat this with, and "regular" shoyu and "regular" nori.

I mixed mine up and ate it with the nori, Satoshi ate his without mixing.

I'll make this again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your version sounds quite good. Does the natto become less gooey because it is mixed with other ingredients? I want to eat natto but the gooey stringiness is a deterrent for my uncultured palate. 😂 Please stay safe and healthy!

K and S said...

Sorry Anon, the gooey/slimy texture does not get less with this version. Do you eat okra? you could start with that first because it isn't stinky, just gooey/slimy.

Take care!
Kat

Anonymous said...

a lot of the poke shops around here serve this style. It's usually called a create your own poke bowl. Good to know there's a name for it and it's something I can eat because of all the non-sashimi ingredients!
v

jalna said...

That actually looks good even though I don't eat natto or raw fish. I know people who would enjoy that.

K and S said...

I think this might be similar to Buddha Bowls too, V.

You can always change the toppings Jalna :)

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Looks good...though I do like just about anything with natto Kat!