Tuesday, June 26, 2012

libby manapua

On our way home from an errand the other day, Mom and I popped into Libby Manapua Shop.

This place has been around for ages and yet it was my first time trying their food, sad yeah?!

We ordered 4 pork manapua (char siu bao), 4 pork hash and a veggie roll to try.

Take-out these days means styrofoam containers, but "way back when" all our take-out orders in Hawaii came in these types of "pie boxes" made of thin cardboard?! I'm happy to see Libby hasn't changed their style.

Their manapua "breading" is so soft and chewy and the inside is filled to a nice "bread-filling" ratio.

The pork hash was also good too, it was filled with so much meat that the outsides were falling off!

The veggie roll was too hard and chewy...meh!

We'll just stick to the manapua and pork hash...we'll be back!

Libby Manapua Shop (UPDATE: 2019 out of business)
410 Kalihi Street
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.841.2253
Open Tuesdays-Sundays 6:00-14:00

9 comments:

Kathy YL Chan said...

Ai-yah, your Hawai'i posts always make me so homesick ^_^

jalna said...

I like Libby's manapua.

K and S said...

your hawaii posts do that to me too Kathy :)

now, me too, Jalna :)

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

I just love that box....it makes me homesick.

K and S said...

hope you can come back soon, Kirk!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Shocked is the word closest to describe what I felt when you said that it was your first time trying Libby's, but then Oahu has SO MANY great places to eat (unlike Kauai!) that you could easily not go to a food shop if it isn't on your travel route. Manapua for me is like donuts to Homer. :-P

K and S said...

when we were younger Rowena, our main place was Char Hung Sut for manapua, but nowadays, we've tried places closer "to home". :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Oh wow that manapua looks so fluffy and delicious!

K and S said...

I really liked this one K!

Take care.
Kat