Saturday, August 11, 2012

hawaii plays tourist

Satoshi was here for about 5 days and we got to play tourist a bit.

On Tuesday, we headed to Haleiwa, he really likes this area.

We checked out Ted's Bakery, which is known for their chocolate haupia pie.

I had heard that they also served plate lunches, so I figured we could pick something up then eat it at the beach.

Well, I didn't know that they only serve breakfast in the mornings (your website should note that somewhere!)

So, we ordered a Loco Moco for Satoshi...$9-something.

He said he enjoyed it.

Portuguese Sausage & Eggs for me...$8-something.

I liked this but thought these weren't really hash browns...

And their chocolate macadamia cream pie...$3-something.

I didn't quite read the label when I took it from their refrigerator, so that is why we missed the one with haupia.

Um, the food is decent here, BUT it took over 30 minutes for us to get our food!

If anything, I would go back for the pie, but probably for nothing else.

It was nice eating under the trees at Sunset Beach though...

After brunch, we headed back to Haleiwa town and spent some time at Coffee Gallery.

An iced French Roast (cold brewed) for me and a Haleiwa Blend for Satoshi...$3-something for both.

Free Wi-Fi was a plus...overcharging me for this coconut macaroon (which I didn't realize until afterwards...not cool!) was a double minus.

I purchased the macaroon for my mom because she loves coconut and she enjoyed this, I'd probably go back for the Wi-Fi and coffee though...

Then as we drove through Waialua, a sign caught my eye... "coconut peanut butter".

We checked it out and I found that North Shore Goodies also makes a chocolate coconut peanut butter.

Chocolate, peanuts and coconut, that's it. How can you go wrong with that?! No sugar added too...$7-something

We got to sample both and they were delicious, can't wait to slather this on a bagel or melt some to drizzle on vanilla ice cream!

Despite the minuses, the weather was wonderful, we contributed a little to the economy and Satoshi got to see some of his favorites sights in Hawaii, in essence it was a good day.

Ted's Bakery
59-024 Kamehameha Highway
Sunset Beach, Hawaii
Phone: 808.638.8207

Coffee Gallery
66-250 Kamehameha Highway
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Phone: 808.637.5571

North Shore Goodies
67-292 Goodale Avenue
Waialua, Hawaii
Phone: 808.637.5415

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you and S enjoyed your little holiday. But Haleiwa seems to have changed a lot since I was last there (maybe 1983). I think I would miss the "old days" more. I guess I am showing my age and my nostalgic feelings.

K and S said...

I have a feeling a lot of places in Hawaii have changed Anon, hopefully for the better, though I understand your "old days" vibe too.

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Nice day!

Anonymous said...

How fortunate to be able to vacation and eat whatever you like ; it is such a luxury . Dont let the little things get in the way. Life is alot more enjoyable that way !

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna & Anon!

Take care you two.
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

I've always been curious about the non-pie food at Ted's, good to know! :)

K and S said...

dunno if it was just an off day for them, but it really took a long time to get our order, Kathy!

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hash Browns???? Those are "O'Brien/Breakfast potatoes"...... still that gravy looked good!

K and S said...

Kirk, as Satoshi was eating, he kept saying, "now this is a loco moco", so it must've been delicious :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Glad Satoshi got to spend a few days in Hawaii, and that you were able to visit his favorite sites. I ♥ that coconut peanut butter you found!

K and S said...

that coconut pb, was definitely different but delicious, Rowena!

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Everything looks great!

My friends make fun of how I scrutinize receipts but I've definitely found many errors before!

K and S said...

I usually stare at the register as the cashier is checking me out at the supermarket (double checking the prices), K, I should've done the same thing here...

Take care.
Kat