Wednesday, September 17, 2014

using up the veggies in the fridge (and lanai) soup

Last week, I had wanted to use up all the veggies in my fridge.

I sauteed some onions until they were transparent, and then added 2 cups of water.

Then I added some pumpkin and when the pumpkin was cooked, I added some chicken broth.

I then whizzed the soup with my hand held blender until there were no lumps.

Envisioning fried renkon (lotus root) chips, I fried thinly sliced pieces. Unfortunately, I drained them on a paper towel and they kind of steamed, so they weren't too crispy.

After setting aside the renkon, I sauteed some kale from the lanai with some red bell pepper in some olive oil.

I ladled a bowl of the pumpkin soup and then topped it with the renkon, kale, red bell and then sliced some okra.

Dinner was served.

It definitely isn't soup weather here yet, but I'm glad I was able to use up the veggies in my fridge and the kale from the lanai.

I'm also sending this soup to Deb for her Souper Sunday. It's been awhile since I've sent her a soup. If you've never checked out her round-up, please do, there are always creative and delicious creations there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

After that expensive meal, it's only right that you could do this!
Vicki

K and S said...

this soup was actually before that beefy meal, Vicki, but yeah, we need to amp up veggies now!

Take care :)
Kat

Rowena said...

Good idea Kat. Waste not, want not!

KirkK said...

Looks good Kat! It's way to hot to think about soup here....

K and S said...

indeed Rowena :)

a little too hot here too Kirk, but I wanted to use up my veggies :)

Thanks K!

Take care everyone!
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Use-it-up soups are some of my very favorites. This one looks healthy and good. Love the lotus root chips on top--even if they aren't crispy. ;-)

Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays--it is always nice to have you join in.

K and S said...

I'm glad I was able to participate in your round-up, hope to send more soups your way this winter, Deb :)

Take care!
Kat