Tuesday, June 20, 2017

ume jam

Untitled When I was reading the instructions that came with the ume on how to make the syrup, I noticed that they mentioned making jam with the fruit after making the syrup.

So with the fruit, I broke each ume by hand and took out the pit.

Then in a metal strainer, and pouring a little water over the pits, I used a wooden spoon to scrape what fruit I could off of the pits.

Untitled I weighed the pitted fruit and used 20% of the weight as the amount of sugar to use for the jam.

(The instructions had stated I would end up with 900 grams of fruit, but it was less, so after pitting it was even less.)

I also added about 1 cup of water.

While cooking this on medium low, I scraped off the scum.

Untitled After 15 minutes it was quite thick so I put the jam into jars. I labeled them and then flipped the jars over to create a vacuum.

And let it cool.

I ended up with about 3 cups of jam.

tried the ume jam (needs to be sweeter), will doctor it up sometime this week❤︎ #ume #jam #osaka #japan #梅ジャム #大阪 #coffee #watermelon #西瓜 #珈琲 We tried the jam this morning...sour!

I should've tried the fruit after I took it out of the syrup.

Also, since I was trying to cut back on the amount of sugar, I only did 20%, but think I need to add another 20% (or so)...will try doctoring it up tomorrow.

Crossing fingers it will be okay after doctoring and I am glad I did not give any of this away before tasting...whew!

Still, this was a good experience.

2 comments:

jalna said...

Awww . . . too bad. Hope it works out after your doctoring.

K and S said...

me too Jalna, crossing fingers...

Take care.
Kat