Saturday, January 19, 2019

mizore nabe

Recently we tried mizore nabe.

Mizore in Japanese means sleet.

Grating the daikon makes it look like "sleet".

I peeled then grated a 8-inch long piece of daikon, then set it aside.

Then, I filled up our clay pot with all sorts of veggies (chinese cabbage, chrysanthemum greens, carrots, maitake mushrooms) and a little pork.

Added 4 cups of dashi and brought everything to a boil then down to a simmer.

After cooking everything, I turned off the heat, squeezed out the water from the grated daikon and added it to the nabe, heating it in the clay pot for like a minute or two.

We ate this with ponzu (citrus soy sauce) and a little shichimi (Japanese 7-spice) but you can eat it with your favorite condiment.

I'm glad we tried this, it was a nice way to warm up and also use up some daikon.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds delish! I think I'll try for dinner tonight! I used to make something like this with the water I steamed fish in: added some veggies but added the lemon and grated daikon when serving the soup. totally forgot about this but pork sounds good!
v

K and S said...

steamed fish sound good V!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I will try this (hopefully the daikon will be fresh and not wilted!) but my favorite is still that soup with kimchi, potato and turnips. I could eat it every day in this nippy weather.

K and S said...

I hope you will be able to try this version Rowena:)

Take care!
Kat

Anonymous said...

I tried making this but got carried away with too many things inside, won bok, shungiku, 2 kinds of mushrooms, pork, choi sum. I even grilled some mochi and put that too! oink!
it was good, especially with a bottle of sake. too bad the weather was warm.
v

K and S said...

V, making nabe it is so easy to go overboard with the veggies! but so good yeah?!

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk, perfect for the cold weather!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

made this and we both loved it - another keeper for when I can get decent daikon at the market!

K and S said...

Rowena, glad you enjoyed this. I wonder if daikon is freezeable? ...hmmm.

Take care.
Kat