Thursday, April 04, 2019

sakura walk (akabane iwabuchi)

The backstory: On our way to Gunma, as the train crossed over the Arakawa (Ara River), I noticed a line of (bald) cherry trees that went as far as the eye could see.

After returning from our trip, I figured out where the spot was and then waited for cherry blossom season.

Fast forward to yesterday, I went to check it out and it didn't disappoint...there were even some shibazakura (moss phlox).

The line of cherry trees reminded me of Yawata, which we visited in the past.

The wind was icy but at least the sun was out and I'm glad it wasn't crowded.

Afterwards, I went to Oji Station and had lunch at Meijido.

Apparently, this bakery has been in business since 1889!

On the 2nd floor is their cafe.

You can eat your baked goods there (with purchase of a beverage), or order from their menu.

I had their butter pretzel (chewy and filled with butter!), tandoori cheese bread (loved the burnt cheese bits) & nut danish...everything was so good!

I also bought a half loaf of their sakura (cherry blossom) & matcha (green tea) patchwork bread for our breakfast today.

Not much walking on this day but I'm glad I got to visit this part of Tokyo.

Meijido
1-14-8 Oji
Kita, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3913.4662
Hours: 6:30-21:00
Closed Sundays

4 comments:

Rowena said...

what a score on spotting those trees and getting to visit, plus no crowds!

KirkK said...

Great planning Kat!

jalna said...

💗 looooove your sakura photos!

K and S said...

Rowena, no crowds was a bonus!

Kirk, Thanks!

Jalna, Thanks :)

Take care everyone.
Kat