Thursday, February 20, 2020

coconut milk braised chicken legs

Every time I travel back to Japan from Hawaii, I buy a magazine that I read from cover to cover on the plane ride home (sometimes I finish reading the magazine before I get on the plane...).

Usually that magazine is "Bon Appetit"...there are lots of delicious looking photos as well as recipes and tips.

On my last trip to Hawaii, I bought a copy of "Bon Appetit" and the photo for Coconut Milk Braised Chicken...jumped out at me.

It took me awhile to get the ingredients together but I finally got a chance to make this.

So easy!

Just put everything into a pan and put it in the oven to do its thing.

Coconut Milk Braised Chicken Legs : From "Bon Appetit" : issue September 2019 : makes 4 servings
INGREDIENTS
1 (13.5 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons Thai curry paste
2 lemongrass stalk, tough outer layer removed, lightly crushed
1 2" piece ginger, peeled, smashed
6 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
4 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick; about 3 pounds total)
Kosher salt

(for serving)
Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
cilantro leaves with tender stems
cooked rice or flatbread
lime wedges

RECIPE PREPARATION
Place a rack in top third of oven; preheat to 400°F (200C).

Stir coconut milk and curry paste in a 2 quart baking dish to combine (or, use a medium skillet if that’s what you’ve got).

Add lemongrass, ginger, and garlic.

Season chicken with salt (hold back a bit since curry pastes often have a lot of salt).

Place in baking dish and spoon some liquid over.

Bake, occasionally spooning liquid over, until chicken is browned, tender, and cooked throughout (the joint should be reasonably easy to flex), 60–75 minutes.

Divide chicken between plates.

Top with coconut flakes and cilantro.

Serve with rice or flatbread and lime wedges alongside.


NOTES: so easy and tasty! I found lemongrass but it was pricey, so I left it out.

Also, I could only get green thai curry paste, so that was what I used.

I didn't add any salt and served this with rice.

I also added some water because my coconut milk seemed thick.

If you like Thai curry, you'll enjoy this, especially since you don't need to stand near the stove.

I'm making this again.

5 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

What a perfect recipe! I bought a huge bag of chicken legs from Safeway for $5 and didn't know what to do with them. This will be a great Sunday dinner and I have all the ingredients!!!! I love easy and delicious. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Rowena said...

that's unusual that you didn't need to add salt. whenever I use any of the thai curries (red, green, yellow) I always gotta add fish sauce or douse my serving of curry with soy sauce. maybe it depends on the brand of thai curry.

K and S said...

Hope you enjoy this Honolulu Aunty.

Rowena, I almost always leave it out when the recipe calls for salt.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice recipe Kat!

K and S said...

very easy and delicious Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat