Monday, March 09, 2020

ajillo

There is a popular tapas that is served in bars and restaurants called ajillo (ah-hee-yo).

It usually comes to your table in a tiny iron skillet, with either shrimp or mushrooms or both, bubbling away in olive oil and garlic.

Since I've been experimenting with the fish grill drawer, I wanted to try making my own ajillo.

I opened a can of sardines packed in olive oil...then added some diced onion and garlic.

I put the can under the broiler for about 10 minutes...

This was delicious!

While eating dinner on Saturday, Satoshi immediately asked if we had some bread in the house...luckily I did.

Then last night, I made an ajillo from scratch...

I washed the can from the sardines and added some cleaned shrimp cut into bite sized pieces.

I also sprinkled some seasoned salt and added some diced onion and garlic.

Then filled the can up to the lip with olive oil.

I cooked it under the broiler for 10 minutes.

This got the thumbs up from you know who.

NOTES: not really a recipe...this was super easy and delicious with lots of bread.

I'm pretty sure we'll have this again soon.

7 comments:

Rowena said...

that's cool how you're experiemnting with your fish grill drawer--adding mackerel to my shopping list.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I could try with my toaster oven's broil feature. These sound really yymmt!
v

K and S said...

hope it works for you Rowena :)

you might have to cook it longer, V, but I hope you like it.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice gambas al ajillo Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Looks so good!!!

K and S said...

was delicious Jalna :)

Take care.
Kat