Thursday, March 12, 2020

yuzu marmalade spareribs

I've been working through a book about using the fish grill drawer.

One recipe that caught my eye was a marmalade sparerib.

The spareribs they use were not too meaty.

Here is the recipe if you'd like to try...

500 to 600 grams spareribs
3 tablespoons marmalade
1/4 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
1/4 cup sake (rice wine)

Marinade the ribs for 30 minutes to half a day.
Preheat the fish grill on high for 2 minutes
Place the ribs on the grill and cook for 5 minutes.
Flip the ribs over and cook for another 5 minutes.

NOTES: Since my ribs were meaty and thick I marinated them overnight.

Instead of cooking it in the grill for 5 minutes on each side, I put the the ribs into a pan (with the marinade) and cooked it on low for 10 minutes on each side.

Then I put the ribs into the fish grill for 3 minutes on each side to get a nice char on it.

I shouldn't have put the marinade in the pan with the ribs as it made the ribs more salty and the yuzu that was in the marmalade was also too salty to eat.

Now I know and will try this again.

I like cooking in the fish grill because it gets rid of some of the fat from meats.

I look forward to cooking more things this way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds good. Anything Yuzu sounds good LOL
Your method is the one for making char siu ribs-cook first then char. Yummmm!
v

Rowena said...

it looks delicious!

K and S said...

V, I think I might have some NOH char siu packets, will have to try making char siu if I do :) thanks for the idea!

Thanks Rowena, would've been better had I not simmered the meat in the marinade :) live and learn.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

More fish grill drawer goodness!

K and S said...

indeed Kirk, hope to try grilling steak in there!

Take care.
Kat