Monday, March 02, 2020

"saba" goma

Saturday, while Satoshi went to German class, I stayed at home and watched a semi-marathon of "Kodoku no Gurume" and learned of a new dish...saba goma.

Fresh pieces of saba (mackerel) are covered with ground sesame seeds, mirin, sake and shoyu.

The way this dish was eaten on the episode was that the fish was covered with the first three ingredients and dipped in the shoyu just before eaten.

The recipe I found online combines all the ingredients then eaten.

You can use any type of sashimi (raw fish).

I used kanpachi (amberjack) and madai (sea bream) because we rarely see saba sold as sashimi where we live.

Hakata-style saba goma : adapted from Nissui website : serves two

1 piece saba (1/2 a fish)
1 green onion
1/4 piece nori (laver sheet)
1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1/2 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
1/2 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
1.5 tablespoons ground sesame seeds

Cut fish into large bite sized pieces
Slice green onion & nori thinly, set aside
Put sauce ingredients together
Put fish into the sauce, coat well
Garnish with green onion and nori
Serve

NOTES: so fast easy and delicious. I only bought two packs of sashimi (each having 5 slices of fish), but would increase the amount of fish to use up the amount of sauce.

I garnished our sashimi with shiso (perilla) because I didn't have nori sheets at home.

This recipe reminded us of something Rakyo, an izakaya in our neighborhood serves.

Will definitely make this again.

With all the uncertainty in the air...our cyclamen plant is still going strong and getting ready to do its thing.

Have a good week everyone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at the ingredients, seems like a fresh version of those semi dried fish that can be grilled. Mamakari?
V

Summer Queen said...

I live next door to a seafood restaurant that has divine goma saba! I haven't been brave enough to try making it myself.

KirkK said...

Nice recipe Kat! Hope things clear up soon.

K and S said...

Most Japanese recipes use the same types of ingredients, so they are all pretty similar V :)

lucky you Summer Queen!

hope so too Kirk

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

it amazes me that you can get shiso in winter, so I'm guessing they must be greenhouse grown.

K and S said...

I think you may be right Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat