Monday, March 30, 2020

beet hummus

I made beet hummus for the first time with a roasted beet I had in the freezer.

The deep pink/magenta color was perfect for the overcast weather.

1 roasted beet (about the size of a fist), peeled & sliced
1 can of garbanzo beans (380 grams), rinsed
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 tablespoons olive oil

In a food processor, whiz everything together to the consistency of your choice.

NOTES: I didn't have sesame paste (tahini) so I used sesame oil instead. My hummus didn't get creamy or a light pink, which I think was due to not using tahini.

Still, I'm glad I tried this.

I froze half and we enjoyed the rest for several dinners over the weekend.

Yesterday, we had snow! for most of the morning.

I think this helped everyone stay at home.

Japan does not have any laws that allow the government to mandate everyone to stay at home.

Because of this, they can only "ask" us to do so.

Many of the surrounding prefectures also "asked" their citizens to stay at home.

Most parks for hanami (cherry blossom viewing) are off limits so no one gathers, benches blocked off as well as park entrances.

Hoping we can cut our numbers this week, though we need the cooperation of everyone.

Have a good week.




6 comments:

Rowena said...

I think that's interesting how governments differ in terms of what they can or cannot do in emergency situations. I saw on tv that our numbers are going down bit by bit, but until it keeps going down and not spike erratically, we're still being very prudent about thinking all is A-OK, which means another 2 weeks of lockdown after April 3rd. 🦠😜😷

jalna said...

Amen to cutting numbers!!

Anonymous said...

I was curious about the beets because tmi coming up: last summer when I bought some fresh beets from a farm stand, cooked and ate them, the next morning, I almost had a heart attach when I used the bathroom.....thought I had some internal bleeding or something. LOL
Then it dawned on me.

On another note, there were a bunch of pictures posted about the snow a on the cherry blossoms. They were so pretty! Also I imagine the snow kept people from hanami which helped the stay at home requests.

Just been rainy most of the time here.
v

K and S said...

it is interesting to see how each government handles this Rowena, hoping everyone's numbers go down.

indeed Jalna :)

lol V...just remember not to eat any before going for a physical (if they check your poop)...

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

Interesting about the difference in laws Kat!

K and S said...

very different Kirk.

Take care.
Kat