Friday, August 21, 2020

hiyajiru

Hiyajiru (literally cold soup) is something eaten during summer when your appetite is supposedly not too great.

Luckily, I've never had a problem with my appetite during summer or any time of the year for that matter (ahem!)...

Anyway, I think we were watching a television show and it mentioned this dish, which Satoshi then requested me to make. 

Many prefectures in Japan have their own version and many families have their own versions too.

This summer, the heat has been pretty brutal.

Over the past week or so, sadly, many people, mostly elderly have died due to heatstroke because they were sleeping without their a/c.

In the past, I would set the a/c timer to turn off in the middle of the night, but this year we have had the a/c on all day and night...

The other night, I tried making hiyajiru.

Adapted from the internet : makes 2 servings

200 grams kinudofu (soft type tofu)

300 milliliters liquid dashi

2 teaspoons miso

1 cucumber, thinly sliced

1 can of tuna (75 grams)

1 myoga, thinly sliced

5 leaves shiso, chiffonade

2 okra, sliced thin

1/4 teaspoon ground sesame seeds

Break up the tofu into a bowl, add the veggies

Dissolve the miso into the dashi, pour over the veggies & tofu

Enjoy! with rice, somen or your favorite starch.

NOTES: super easy, tasty and definitely no cooking.

There are some recipes that ask you to heat the miso in the toaster or over an open flame to deepen the miso flavor, but I didn't do that.

You could probably use whatever veggies you have on hand since it is like cold miso soup.

Hope you have a safe weekend!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I want to try.
I also read that many of the people who died from heat exhaustion died overnight because they didn't use a/c. Kind of surprising, yah. Also shocking to me was that the overnight temperatures were 85 to 87 degrees, which seemed bearable but I guess with humidity, it feels much hotter, like you were saying, over 100!
I don't have a/c in my room but I have a ceiling fan and a desk fan on when it gets really hot and sometimes a wet wash cloth.
Dang humidity!
v

K and S said...

V, so sad with all those dying from heatstroke, even people with a/c on were dying too...scary!

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice....though I thought Satoshi lives on only gyoza! ;o)

jalna said...

Looks so refreshing.

K and S said...

lol Kirk, you know he would live off gyoza only if he could :)

Thanks Jalna, it really is good on a hot day!

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

yikes Kat, a/c on just about 24/7? I believe you on the brutal temps, but cannot imagine it bad enough to cause death - sorry to hear that. I don't keep the a/c on much and mainly use the dehumidifier function; it works well enough to relieve us of that sticky heat, and I collect the run-off in a bucket outside to water my plants.

K and S said...

I usually have the dehumidifier on during the night, Rowena.

Take care.
Kat