Tuesday, August 25, 2020

miyako ichi

How are you doing?

We are doing fine, trying not to get on each other's nerves and staying indoors whenever possible.

It was bittersweet to see a story on tv about Hawaii and their lockdown recently.

I hope we will all be able to get our numbers down safely.

On a recent trip to the market, I noticed this package of chuka soba (literally chinese noodle).

Upon researching, I was surprised that Miyako Ichi is apparently the first "instant" noodle in Japan (they were manufacturing these noodles about 5 years before Nissin's chicken ramen).

Relatively healthy as there are only 3 ingredients...flour, salt and kansui (alkaline solution).

The noodles are not fried and there is no soup packet included.

One packet has two servings in it, plus it is super cheap (about $1.50 a package).

Since it has been so hot and I had some leftover dashi from making hiyajiru, I made hiyashi ramen for our dinner the other night.

According to the package it says to cook the noodles for 6 to 7 minutes, but I cooked them for 5 because I like my noodles on the stiffer side.

For the soup (2 servings), I used 300 milliliters of dashi, 2 teaspoons of shoyu, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil and some rayu (chili oil).

For the topping, I poached some shabu shabu (thinly) sliced pork, julienned some shiso, thinly sliced okra, myoga and also put some sliced cherry tomatoes and edamame.

It didn't look like a lot in the package but when cooked, one serving of noodles was quite a lot and I loved the texture of these noodles.

The package also said you can make yakisoba, so we tried them this way with the last lup cheong from our freezer.

I would cook these a little less than 5 minutes, maybe 4?! so the noodles would be a little more stiff when cooked with the yakisoba sauce.

Overall, I'm glad I tried this and would continue to purchase them in the future.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 of my favorite dishes! i know I know, everything is my favorite!
I think I've seen those noodles here. I better look, seems healthy. When I make cup noodles, I usually rinse/drain out the liquid to get rid of the oils then add more water with the seasoning.
v

Korean Dramas said...

Fried noodles tend to cook up soft and mushy - it would be great if they could update the recipe and add some potato starch to make it more bouncy like Korean instant ramen. When I buy instant noodles, I always have to check if there is potato starch in the ingredients - that way I know they'll have a toothsome texture!

jalna said...

Looks yummy!!!!

Rowena said...

I made noodles today but with 4 ingredients (flour, salt, egg and kansui). I love them to be chewy in texture, so I cook them 1-2 minutes (2 minutes if I've left them out on the counter and they dry out a bit).

ah, and what is this story about lockdown in Hawaii? I know I've been pretty much absent during this whole month, but there was a lot going on with my FIL and then I had a bad muscle strain in my foot that had me limping and feeling pretty miserable.

sigh...I hope September will be better.

K and S said...

Your noodles sound delish, Rowena, hope your foot is better as well as your FIL.

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

V, you have lots of favorites :)

That is good to know Korean Dramas.

It was delicious, Jalna :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

Looks very nice Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat

Rinshinomori said...

I have been buying this for about 12 years now via Amazon or Rakuten Japan dhipped to me in California. I like making my own hiyashi chuka, ramen sarada, and yakisoba using this brand. Using baking soda I can make this taste like fresh ramen with the right texture.

K and S said...

That is good to know Rinshinomori :) thanks for sharing!

Take care!
Kat