Tuesday, December 22, 2020

yuzu & daikon

Apparently this year root and leafy veggies are plentiful and super cheap.

I was able to get a nice sized daikon and yuzu for 98 yen each!

(BUT, I was saddened to see on the news that the farmers here are having to throw out tons of produce! apparently due to the lack of food operators not operating at full speed..um can't the produce be frozen or given away to countries that don't have enough food?!)

Anyway, with part of the daikon I made some yuzu daikon pickles.

Found on the internet: 2 servings
500 grams daikon, peeled and sliced into sticks
1 yuzu, juiced and thinly slice the peel
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar 
2 tablespoons vinegar
some dried chili pepper

In a bowl put the daikon and salt and massage, leave for 5 minutes.
After the 5 minutes, squeeze out the water from the daikon.
In a ziploc bag, put the daikon, yuzu peel, sugar, vinegar and chili.
Massage gently then store in refrige.
Enjoy after a couple of hours.

NOTES: The whole recipe was for 2 servings, and since I didn’t know how it would taste I only made half the recipe.

It was so easy and tasty, I’d definitely make this again.

I froze the rest of the yuzu peel to bake with and or to add to osuimono (clear soup).

Saturday night, with about 1/3 of the daikon, I peeled and grated it to put into mizore nabe.

Grated daikon is called oroshi but it is also called mizore because it looks like sleet.

After the ingredients of the nabe (hot pot) were cooked I added the grated daikon and waited for for the liquid to come up to a boil before serving.

With the leftover yuzu juice, I made some ponzu (1 tablespoon of yuzu juice & 1 teaspoon shoyu per person) for us to use while eating our nabe.

I still have the top part of the daikon which I plan to use in the coming days.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the great ideas for using daikon and I think I saw yuzu in the market.
v

K and S said...

V, hope the yuzu is not expensive.

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Ho da cheap. Your nabe looks good.

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna:)

Take care!
Kat

Rowena said...

aaaccch! food waste! that is really sad that they could find no other way to avoid tossing those vegs.

K and S said...

Rowena, so sad especially when there are huge lines in the US for food.

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice recipe Kat. Very sad about wasting food though....

K and S said...

always sad to see food waste Kirk.

Take care.
Kat