Thursday, September 15, 2022

sweet sour spareribs

Sunday, I was looking at some of the market's ads.

Since we needed rice, I chose a market that was having a sale.

They also advertised spareribs, so we picked that up as well.

This was the first time I used this recipe (I think), it was so easy and the meat was fall off the bone tender!

The amount of meat I used was a less than the recipe called for, but I made the full amount of gravy.

With some of the leftover gravy, I made ajitama.

The other night, I sauteed some lotus root in a little oil then added 3 tablespoons of the leftover gravy and cooked it until the gravy evaporated and caramelized the lotus root...so ono!

Satoshi said I should use the leftover gravy for fried rice, so we'll try it that way too.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to make the spareribs.

From "Recipes Please"

2 pounds spareribs

3 tablespoons flour

Salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup oil

Gravy:

1.5 cups water

3/4 cup brown or white sugar

1/2 cup vinegar

1/4 cup shoyu

1/2 teaspoon salt

Coat spareribs with flour

Brown spareribs in heated oil

Add the browned spareribs to gravy and boil until tender, approxiamately 1.5 hours.

NOTES: I didn't use the amount of oil it called for and only sifted a little flour onto the ribs.

I brought the gravy up to a boil then simmered the ribs for the 1.5 hours turning the meat every so often because I used a shallow pan.

Luckily I made this early enough in the day so I was able to scrap off lots of the oil before dinner.

My cousin saw my post on Instagram and asked if I used Grandma's recipe, I think it is similar but not the one she used when she used to make this dish.

Our weather still isn't cool enough to be cooking like this but it was definitely comfort food.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't used to like sweet sour spareribs, but one day I bought it from Gulicks in Kalihi. The spareribs are not always tender but I love the flavor.
BTW, my mom had the spareribs recipe in the yellow Hongwanji cookbook marked as "good" but I never made it.
You're so good thinking of all the ways to use the sauce.
In fact, I actually have 2 different batches of the water I boiled pork belly in my freezer (your suggestion) when I made kakuni. Taking up so much room I think I'll end up dumping it because I never remember to use it.
v

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe I'm gonna try it. Looks good and seems easy enough. Great ideas for using the sauce too.
Mahalo,
Bonny OGG

jalna said...

Looks yummy!!

K and S said...

After you mentioned Gulick's V, I looked at my post on Gulick's, we had their spareribs there too. If you want, you can use the pork belly water to make takikomigohan.

Hope you like it Bonny!

Thanks Jalna!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

I miss sweet-sour spareribs (my mom would put a small tin of crushed pineapple in it) but in Italy, individual pork ribs are not cut into pieces; I'm too scared to work with a cleaver...

K and S said...

I would be scared to work with a clever too Rowena, I hope you can get your fix of sweet sour spareribs soon though :)

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

Nice recipe Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk, it hit the spot!

Take care.
Kat