Monday, December 19, 2022

bucket list and reconnect

It has been 9 years since our last foodie adventure with Dennis of Radiused Corner.

Since he was near Tokyo, he wanted to check out Onigiri Bongo and it had also been on my "to try" list since forever...so I'm glad he asked to meet up.

The shop opens up at 11:30, and there are only about 10 seats around the counter, so people start lining up way before.

We got there a little after 11 and had to wait in the “second” line across the street...

While waiting, there were two Japanese celebrities (Jimon-san and Higo-san of Dacho Club) that were also filming their take out from Onigiri Bongo.

After a 1.5 hour wait, the last part in the freezing shade, we were finally getting closer.

They were nice to pass out hot tea while we waited.
After sitting down, they ask you your order and within a couple of minutes, they serve you your onigiri.
I ordered Ume and Tuna Mayo...300 yen each (tax included). 

It doesn't look too big, but the onigiri is quite hefty and they are generously filled.

You can also order tofujiru (miso soup with tofu in it)...200 yen (tax included)

This two onigiri with tofujiru set is normally 800 yen (tax included) but on weekdays it is 700 yen (tax included).

While eating & listening to others order, I also learned you can go without ordering the soup and just order onigiri.

They also do take out too.

While I like ume, I felt just the ume as a filling was way too sour and salty for me...

In retrospect I would not order one filling but order a half and half type instead which is a little more expensive or add a side order of pickles, to change things up.

But, I'm glad I got to experience this, and look forward to bringing Satoshi here (he’s already looking over the menu and trying to figure out what he’d order)

Thanks for today Dennis and we look forward to trying the coffee you gave us.

Keep in touch and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Onigiri Bongo

2-27-5 Kitaotsuka

Toshima, Tokyo

Phone: 03.3910.5617

Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hours: 11:30-23:00

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

one year my cousin and I stayed at a hotel near Otsuka eki and saw this place but we were never around when they were open. Really had no idea that it was that famous. My cousin just loves onigiri so was always hoping to go there.
v

jalna said...

I love musubi and miso soup, but I doubt I'd wait that long for it.

K and S said...

Hope your cousin can go back V :)

Jalna, :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

I saw this place on youtube and cannot believe how long the wait is. I guess when you live in Japan, you just get used to waiting in lines? I would've had to go to the bathroom standing in the cold!

KirkK said...

Man, you see Dennis more often than I do Kat! ;o) I'm glad you got to meet up!

K and S said...

Rowena, most times, waiting in lines in Japan, means the shop is worth the hype, I'm glad I didn't have to go bathroom while waiting...

Kirk, :)

Take care you two.
Kat