Wednesday, June 07, 2023

making marinated “feta"

I wanted to make watermelon feta salad but didn't want to pay the price for the marinated feta that I usually use for this salad 

So instead, I soaked some tofu in olive oil and spices, to make my own "feta".

Adapted from the Sateto website, makes 1 cup

150 grams momen tofu (firm)

50 milliliters olive oil (1/4 cup)

1/2 teaspoon salt

dry herbs/spices

1.5 teaspoons lemon juice

Take the tofu out of the container and put a weight on it for about 30 minutes to take out some of the water (the longer you keep the weight on the tofu the more crumbly it will get)

Cut up the tofu into squares and put into a bottle.

Mix the olive oil, spices and lemon juice, put into the bottle.

Let soak for at least two days.

NOTES: The original recipe said to add some lemon juice, to make it more "cheese" like, but since I didn't have that on hand, I left it out.

Since I was using tofu, I also used shiso in place of the basil.

(Plus, shiso was cheaper than basil)

Both the tofu and shiso were delicious in this salad.

I'm glad I tried it this way.

The recipe also suggested that you could use different spices and oils like sesame oil or chili oil, I want to try these variations in the future.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta try this too! I love watermelon feta salad. Yup, even here, it's all expensive so tofu sounds interesting. I even got basil and shiso growing in my yard!

jalna said...

I don't care for feta 'cause it's so stinky. This sounds better. V must be an awesome gardener. I bought some shiso seeds. And that's it. Nothing happened. They remained seeds. LOL.

K and S said...

I hope you like this Anon! I am jealous that you have basil and shiso growing in your yard :)

Jalna, I've heard others say that about feta too.

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Jalna, grow the shiso. It grows tall, then flowers and the the seeds grow again. Sometimes the birds eat the seeds before they fall into the soil and sometimes the seeds are dormant for awhile but then start sprouting, but can get a fairly steady supply of shiso.
v

K and S said...

V, hopefully Jalna can grow some shiso :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Sounds great Kat! Funny that shiso is cheaper than basil there.

K and S said...

Kirk, :)

Take care.
Kat