Thursday, January 11, 2024

small kine emergency

Tuesday as I was eating lunch I bit down on the crispy coating of the chicken in my sandwich and felt a tooth "buckle"

Not wanting to swallow my tooth, I quickly spit out what I had in my mouth, but couldn’t find anything hard or anything resembling a tooth

Then while eating dinner, the area I thought might have cracked, had a “squishy” feeling, and then I found a teeny metal piece.

I tried calling the dentist but they had already closed for the day

So yesterday after my physical therapy, I called the dentist and asked if they could fit me in.

Luckily they could!

(I had thought my upper back molar had cracked but it turned out to be a tooth next to the molar that seemed “thin” whenever I flossed it)

The dentist numbed the area, removed the cracked piece, cemented the area and sent me home because his schedule was full for the rest of the day and couldn’t work on the area

I need to go back on Saturday, at that time he will see what options I have

Though he did say he didn’t think the whole tooth needed to be removed, whew!

Thankful he could see me right away and that the Japan medical system isn’t krazy expensive…with insurance this visit cost 860 yen (tax included)

Saw an interesting sasanqua tree (above) and some winter sakura coming home from the dentist.

Hope your week is going well.

6 comments:

jalna said...

Eek!! Just like V with her dental issues.

Anonymous said...

dental problems! I had (another) root canal last Thursday. I thought most of the numbness had gone away and was starving since I got out after 1:30 so I put a huge spoonful of hot rice and kalua turkey in my mouth and OMG you wouldn't believe the huge burn on my tongue. Fortunately, tongues heal fairly quickly, so today it is almost completely healed but couldn't eat or drink anything hot and even today, slightly sensitive to hot. After insurance, I still have to pay $350. Japan medical is so good!
v

Anonymous said...

Two of my molars cracked off. One I didn't notice until I found it with my tongue later. The 2nd two weeks ago when I felt a crunch when eating and spit out my food to see a partial tooth. Both just left the filling standing.My dentist said no need do anything cuz the filling is still there and you can't see it. So old age causes tooth cracking?? I am going to see him this month so will ask if this is normal. Just don't want to lose a prominent tooth and have to get work like V's. N

Rowena said...

ugh...teeth problems! we just go private provider since the wait is just too long if it's national (free)coverage. I think it was like 50 euros for a general visit/cleaning but a ton more for serious tooth problems.

KirkK said...

Oh my glad you got in to see the Dentist.

K and S said...

Jalna, yeah :(

aiyah V!

N, I was reading something about menopause, loss of estrogen and it affecting teeth... :( hope your teeth problems get solved painlessly!

Rowena, hope you don't have any major dental stuff happening.

Kirk, me too :)

Take care everyone
Kat