Thursday, January 04, 2024

this and that

Happy New Year! hope your year is off to a great start.

recapping before the New Year…my helper for o-soji was under the weather, so I did most of the cleaning outside the apartment and he cleaned the "tracks" for the sliding glass doors on the inside of the apartment.

He is working from home today and will go to see the doctor tomorrow since they are still on holiday break.

toshikoshi soba, we always eat it for lunch on new years eve day because we are usually ready to go to sleep when the new year comes around.
 
thought I posted about this but did not, laugenhornchen (pretzel croissant) from Himmel, so ono!

chewy like a soft pretzel but with the flaky layers of a croissant and just the right amount of salt too..love!

tried a new (to me) recipe for namasu using kiriboshi daikon

I used the kiriboshi daikon that my friend Mayumi had given me since it had daikon and carrots.

I reconstituted the kiriboshi daikon and carrots and then soaked them in the namasu marinade.

The daikon wasn't white like namasu should be and kinda had that “kiriboshi daikon” smell, but it was super easy to put together, and I’m glad I tried it this way.

As you know on the 1st there was a very large earthquake near Ishikawa prefecture, there was a tsunami alert and large waves hit many areas along the coastlines on the Japan Sea side of Honshu & Kyushu

Lots of damage and loss of life.

Especially in the Wajima area, the Asa-ichi (morning market) area which we visited back in 2010, was completely destroyed by fires from this earthquake.

Hoping the people in this area and the other areas affected are safe.

we actually had some swaying in Tokyo during the first shake, though Satoshi didn't feel it

We appreciate everyone who reached out to check on us.

And then on the 2nd, two planes collided at Haneda! apparently one was going to help the people of the earthquake…so sad!

Sending a big virtual hug and good vibes

Hoping there won’t be more drama this week.

Be kind and take care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ate my toshikoshi soba for late lunch new year's day too because I have such an ono bowl of ozoni from Jalna for breakfast.
Still deeply saddened by the earthquake and the rising fatality counts. And, by now you've heard about the stabbing in Tokyo too.
Take care and be alert!
I was gonna say Satoshi got away easy this year but glad he felt well enough to help some with the cleaning. Such a bummer to not feel well when so much good stuff to eat.
v

Anonymous said...

Kat, I worried you folks might have been affected but after seeing the maps and the news I figured you were safe. I saw a clip of the quaking and it was severe. So so sad. A Japanese scientist said they rely on science too much because it's Nature and unpredictable. Then the air collision. Egads, double tragedy. My heart hurts for Japan and its people. Praying for healing, N

Anonymous said...

What's up, this weekend is good in favor of me, because this time
i am reading this impressive informative post here at my residence.

KirkK said...

That earthquake.....so sad Kat. Not a great start to the year.

K and S said...

I had to look up about the stabbing V, krazy!

Thank you N!

Take care Anon!

Kirk, definitely sad!

Take care everyone.
Kat