Tuesday, November 07, 2006

chinsuko--three times is a charm

Yesterday, I attempted to make "chinsuko", but failed and posted about it here. After failing, something inside me yearned to succeed--I think I am OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), so, I surfed the internet and found about 4 different recipes listing different amounts of the same ingredients and different temperatures to bake them at and at different amounts of times.

On my 2nd attempt: I came closer to the "chinsuko" taste that I know, but still no shape or flakiness....

Satoshi also tasted it, and said that it didn't have the flakiness of a "chinsuko"...they were quite hard.

The 3rd attempt proved to be a charm...success!

Here is the recipe: Makes 9 cookies
120 g flour (8.43T)
50g sugar (3.5 T)
50g lard (3.5T)
*If you can weigh out your ingredients it may be better than relying on my conversions

1. Cream the lard with the sugar using a hand-mixer--it may not get too fluffy, like with butter
2. Sift in all of the flour and mix with a wooden spoon, then use the hand-mixer to combine
3. The "dough" will be crumbs--this is okay.
4. Into a cupped palm, scoop in some of the "dough" and press it together, like the sushi chefs do with rice at the sushi bars, into little oblong cookies.
5. Bake at 150C (300F) for 30 minutes, then place under the broiler for 5 minutes to brown.
6. Enjoy!

NOTES: I used "wasanbonzato" which is a brown sugar that is used in Japanese confections. I think it is the same as the raw sugar found in the U.S., but not as fine or as brown.

I have LOTS of cookies to eat now...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It can be a frustrating work to try same things for three times. I sort of have OCD too. :) I know what it is like.
This is my first time hearing about chinsuko. Though the ingredients look simple enough for me to try some. But I don't know where I can get the lard from. (I am in Korea by the way.) Did you buy it at the supermarket?

K and S said...

Hi Sue,

Thanks for stopping by. If you cannot get lard, try to find shortening. I used "Crisco", an American brand. I bought this at a gourmet supermarket in Osaka. If you cannot find either, then use butter, it may not be as flaky, but it will still be good.

Take care and good luck!

Kat

Barbara said...

Sounds interesting Kat. I've bookmarked the page and may try them someday. Not sure where I will get lard from, perhaps I'll ask a butcher.

K and S said...

Hi Barbara,

I didn't use lard instead I used shortening. If you can't find either, butter will do.

Take care and I hope you try these.

Kat

Stephine Yoshikawa said...

Oh.. those look so awesome. I had such a hard time forming them so your way will help a lot. And your texture is much better. I think I'll try it again soon!

The Yum Chef said...

No salt?

K and S said...

no salt, yum chef.

Take care.
Kat