Thursday, November 30, 2006

kyongdong herbal market

One of my students, Kazumi, just came back from Seoul. She stopped at the Kyongdong Herbal Market, which is known for their Chinese and Korean medicinal herbs. (The Koreans apparently call this market GYEONGDONG.)

She was kind enough to bring back some star anise and dried figs for me. (Thank you!) The star anise will come in handy when making chai or roast pork or chicken. The figs are quite sweet, but I wonder what I can make using them....any ideas?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that you are a teacher.
Sorry, I have no idea what to do with them. :(

K and S said...

Hi Sue,

I am thinking of making something chocolate using these figs. Hopefully I'll have some time to do so.

Take care.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Oooh, dried figs!! One of the markets I go to sells dried wild figs, they're a wonderful treat to enjoy on their own, but I imagine they'd also go great chopped up - maybe in a cookie or a slice?

K and S said...

Wow, dried wild figs, those must be awesome, Ellie! I'll look for a cookie recipe for these babies to go in...thanks for the tip.

Take care.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat,

The best way to enjoy dried figs is to eat them with walnuts. It's the best!

K and S said...

Ooh, thanks for the suggestion, Ivonne, will try it!

Take care.

Kat