Saturday, November 18, 2006

yuzucha

A couple of years ago, I was first introduced to yuzucha (citron tea), when my host-sister gave me a bottle of Korean yuzucha. I didn't know much about it then, but after trying it as a drink and as a topping on yogurt and also on toast, I was hooked!

This yuzucha is made by a company in Kochi prefecture on the island of Shikoku--the same company that makes a yuzu drink that I like called Gokkun.

I think yuzu and other citrus fruits, such as mikan (tangerine) have the power to keep you warm, that is why it is added to onsen or furo(hot spring or bath water)--plus, it smells nice and refreshing.

Yuzucha has no actual tea in it, in fact, it looks like runny marmalade.

Just put a tablespoon or two (depending on how sweet you want your drink) into your teacup and add hot water.

It is a nice way to warm up and I also love eating the strips of yuzu at the end.

5 comments:

Stephine Yoshikawa said...

Oh that sounds sooo good!! I got hooked on Yuzu when we went to Okinawa. And I told my husband about how your formed the Chinsuko in your hands and he thought that was inspired. Don't you love blogging?

K and S said...

Hi Stephine,

If you can get some, I'm sure you'll like it. I think what you are talking about in Okinawa was Shiquasa, a type of lime.

Yes, I love blogging--the exchange of ideas, food info, and culture.

Take care.

Kat

Anonymous said...

I like yuzucha. It's yummy and sweet.

By the way, I couldn't find the mochiko at the shop today. I am very disappointed.

K and S said...

Hi Sue,

Yuzucha is sweet, helps the craving for something sweet sometimes.

Sorry, you couldn't find rice flour (mochiko), check out this link, it talks about different items that could be substituted for it--although the taste will be a bit different....http://www.foodsubs.com/Flournw.html

Take care.

Kat

Stephine Yoshikawa said...

Oh I think you're right!