Tuesday, November 14, 2006

furikake

In Japan and Hawaii, we sometimes eat our rice with furikake. Traditionally, furikake are seasoned, dried condiments such as goma (sesame seeds), katsuo bushi (dried shaved bonito), nori (dried seaweed), aonori (dried green seaweed). Recently though, there have been flavored furikake such as kimchee (korean pickles), tamago (egg) and ebi-mayo (shrimp with mayonnaise).

Today, I saw this katsuo furikake in the supermarket and it looked so fresh and kind of fluffy! I had to get it.

It was so good on rice.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks good, Kat!

K and S said...

It was good, Ivonne!

Thanks for stopping by.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Have you tried kimchi furikake? I wonder what it tastes like..? Though I wouldn't want it on my rice. :)

What is the difference between katsuo bushi furikake and Katsuo furikake?

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of furikake but you know, it sounds delicious. I bet it tasted great on rice.


Ari (Baking and Books)

K and S said...

Hi Sue,

I've never tried the kimchee one. I think kimchee itself would be better on rice than the kimchee furikake. Also, katsuo bushi and katsuo furikake are the same thing, sorry about that.

Hi Ari,

If ever you get a chance to go to a Japanese restaurant, they may serve it. I hope you get a chance to try it, it is great.

Take care you two!

Kat

Rowena said...

The flavored furikake sounds interesting...I hope to find some back home!

K and S said...

I hope you can find some too, Rowena!

Enjoy your trip home!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Ooh, kimchee furikake?? Wow, I'll have to look for it! I'm sure real kimchee tastes better on rice too, but maybe it's meant for bento boxes (packed lunches) where eating raw kimchi out someplace, like work or school, might not be possible? Anyway, thanks for the info, cool!

K and S said...

Hi TM,

If I see it again, I'll let you know what store it was in.

Take care.

Kat

sushi stu said...

I love furikake!

:)

K and S said...

I love it too Sushi Stu :)

Take care.
Kat