Tuesday, January 14, 2014

copycat

IMG_4920 The other morning, I tried the copycat recipe for Boots & Kimo's Macadamia Nut Sauce. Boots & Kimo's is an eatery in Hawaii which I've written about here.

Yesterday was a holiday, I didn't want to feel frazzled in the kitchen, so I made the pancakes Sunday night and then made the sauce just before breakfast Monday morning.

Boots & Kimo Copycat Macadamia Nut Sauce

1 cup macadamia nuts
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup each whole milk and heavy (whipping) cream (OR 2 cups half & half)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoons lemon juice

Finely grind nuts in food processor. Dry cook in saucepan over medium-high for 5 minutes, until fragrant.

Lower heat to medium. Add butter; stir until melted. Stir in flour cook 1 minute.

SLOWLY add milk and heavy cream (or half & half), CONSTANTLY whisking. Add sugar, salt, lemon juice and vanilla. Bring just to a boil (or almost to a boil, be careful) and then reduce heat just a little so that it's not boiling. Cook 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring CONSTANTLY. Serve warm.


NOTES: First off, I cut this recipe to 1/4 (we don't need to be eating that much sauce).
I roasted the nuts in a 150C (300F) oven for 10 minutes, then chopped them by hand, so the nuts were chunky not fine.
I used full cream and skim milk, leaving out the salt and lemon juice.
I did this all on low heat because I was afraid of the sauce boiling, so it took awhile before thickening.
Keep your eye on this, and keep stirring.
To keep the nuts crunchy, I just sprinkled some on before serving.

This was delicious! Satoshi loved it too. I'm definitely making this again.

4 comments:

K said...

Ooh, looks and sounds delicious!

K and S said...

if you give this a try, K, I hope you like it :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena... said...

When I get my waffle maker, macadamia sauce is going to be a must. I've seen the roasted/salted ones at the market -- they should work fine.

K and S said...

this sauce is super easy to make Rowena, I used dry roasted salted mac nuts & just omitted the salt from the recipe.

Take care.
Kat