Monday, September 07, 2015

escabeche de cebolla (pickled red onions)

Not sure why I had pickled red onions on my brain but I think it may have had to do with a picture I saw of Tacos Zarate's fish taco.

To make these pickles, I used a recipe I found on Saveur...

Here's the recipe if you want to try...makes about 1 3/4 cups

Ingredients
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 large red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar

Instructions
In a bowl, toss salt and onion together; let sit until onion releases some of its liquid, about 15 minutes. Transfer to jar along with peppercorns, oregano, cumin, and garlic, and pour over vinegar; seal with lid. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before using.
l

NOTES: I like how this recipe was super easy, no cooking involved and also how this recipe doesn't use any sugar.

I didn't have red wine vinegar so I used some white wine vinegar and a little rice vinegar.

This was puckery and the onions have a nice crispness.

I topped some fried ika (squid) with this and it matched nicely.

I'm making this again.

6 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

Love pickled red onions too! I never thought to put herbs. Sounds good.

KirkK said...

Very nice Kat. Make sure to use Mexican Oregano though as it tastes totally different from the Greek/Turkish versions.

K and S said...

if you try this, I hope you like it Sheri:)

thanks Kirk, dunno what kind I have though...

Take care you two!
Kat

jalna said...

Hey, looks easy enough that maybe even I can make it!

K and S said...

you could definitely make this Jalna:)

Take care!
Kat

K said...

Looks bright and delicious!