Tuesday, September 01, 2015

kokohead foods smoked ahi spread

Have you tried this yet? I don't know what I was looking at online but a picture of this came up...and then I needed to try it.

Apparently, it was developed by Chef Kevin Hanney who is the owner of 12th Avenue Grill and Koko Head Cafe and has been around for 18 years?! (where have I been?)

I called around and found it at Tamura's (another place is R. Field inside of Beretania Foodland). (Before you go to buy this, please call to make sure they have some)

It really is nice with the smokiness and creaminess.

This spread/dip went nicely with lavosh.

Of course, now I want to try re-creating it (smoked ahi (tuna), mayo, tamarind, onions, anchovies, chili pepper, garlic, salt)

I'm flying out today.

It was a shorter trip than in the past, but I got to spend time with family, meet up with a lot of friends and eat out at some of the places on my list.

The weather was often pretty miserable with the humidity and heat. Traffic was a nightmare at times.

I was often the "dinner" for mosquitos and I was also reminded "loudly" several times that "Kat, you do not tan".

I know it is hurricane season here, but I hope Hawaii's weather stablizes soon, it is definitely killer without an a/c.

Be well everyone.

Talk to you from the other side of the world.

9 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

I never heard of it either. Sounds ono! Safe travels. Good riddance mosquitos! (and cockroaches)

Anonymous said...

Safe travels! Heading back to Hawaii today for the UH opener and I am bringing pupu's for the tailgate. Perfect timing!

jalna said...

Have a safe trip back, Kat!!! It was nice to finally meet you. Mwah!

K and S said...

I hope you get to try it next time Sheri! Was nice seeing you guys:)

hope you guys like it Anon!

same here Jalna, looking forward to next time!

Take care everyone:)
Kat

KirkK said...

That sounds delicious Kat!

K said...

The spread sounds delicious!

K and S said...

perfect with your favorite cracker K!

Take care.
Kat

Jbelin said...

I made this before. The tamarind and anchovies are all ingredients in Worcestershire sauce. In my opinion is tuna drained well, mayo, shoyu, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder. Good luck!

K and S said...

Thanks Jbelin, will try it!

Take care.
Kat