Tuesday, November 01, 2022

reconnect

Last November, Okita Seimai's ohagi was featured on a television program and then it was pretty much impossible to buy without going early to get a numbered ticket, so I avoided going.

Then last Friday, Satoshi didn't need dinner, so I decided to see what was happening with Okita Seimai.

At least the lines were gone, but they no longer make bento. 

I ended up getting their shiratama, tiny mochi served on their anko (sweet bean paste) and their purple rice (black rice).

Also, I only ate the shiratama and froze the anko so we can enjoy it on toast.

I also went to Stivale and picked up some items for dinner.

Assorted salami, cauliflower baked with sausage and olives.

The cauliflower was disappointing because the mayo they used didn't melt even when heated...

Still I'm glad I got to revisit these shops. 

5 comments:

KirkK said...

Whoa, how does mayo not melt when heated???

Anonymous said...

is ohagi a seasonal thing?
My grandma used to make bota mochi for special occasions, like our birthday but seems like I'm seeing more stuff about them, maybe because it's autumn?
v

K and S said...

Kirk, if you've ever used Kewpie Half, you'll see it doesn't melt or dissolve in water... :(

V, traditionally botamochi/ohagi is usually seen during the Spring and Autum Equinoxes, what the Japanese calle O-higan. But I think these days a lot of wagashi places make this as a way to use up what anko and mochi rice they have too.

Take care you two.
Kat

jalna said...

Do you mix the black rice with white when you cook it?

K and S said...

Jalna, yes you mix it with white rice, the more black rice you add the more purple the cooked rice comes out, I've been mixing it with brown and white rices.

Take care.
Kat