Wednesday, April 17, 2024

tokyo toilet part 1

The other day, Tamakikat (she no longer has a blog), asked me if I had visited the Tokyo Toilets

I knew about them, and about the film, "Perfect Days", but hadn't gone out to see them.

I don't know about you, but I usually freak out if I have to use a public toilet especially in Hawaii, because they are usually dirty and I always worry about my safety in them.

Japan toilets, especially the ones in the train stations are relatively clean and relatively safe, so I thought it would be interesting to see how the public ones outside would be.

It turned out that Satoshi was interested in seeing them too, so on Saturday that is what we did.

There are 17 to see, I mapped out our route, and we started out at the one "farthest" away from where we live, Sasazuka

All are in Shibuya ward and when you start walking you will quickly realize how big Shibuya ward really is.

To blog about each one in one post, would make this post too long, so I broke up our experience into 3 parts.

This particular toilet was designed by Junko Kobayashi.

Next was Hatagaya, which was designed by Miles Pennington
You should know that each toilet in this project is wheelchair accessible
Nanago Dori Park, designed by Kazoo Sato
Bummer the women's toilet was broken at this location
Down the street was Sunday Bake Shop, we picked up some snacks here.
on the way to Nishihara, I spotted this man, loved the atmosphere of his shop too
Loved the rounded windows on this building
Nishihara 1-chome Park, designed by Takenosuke Sakakura


People! take your rubbish home...

We sat on the stools in the Nishihara 1-chome park and had banana bread...450 yen (tax included)
and lemon cake 480 yen (tax included) from Sunday Bake Shop, delicious and moist (I'll be back to Sunday Bake Shop the next time I am in this area)
Then to Nishisando...love the cherry blossom reflections on the balconies
Nishisando, designed by Sou Fujimoto

You should know that you'll often see taxi drivers parked in front of public toilets around Japan, taking a break, waiting for a new fare

loved the sinks on this design

Sunday Bake Shop
6-53-3 Honmachi
Shibuya, Tokyo
Closed: Mondays
Hours: 7:30-17:00 (Sundays) 8:00-15:00 (Tuesdays), 7:30-18:00 (Wednesdays & Fridays), 7:30-15:00 (Thursdays & Saturdays)

Tokyo Toilet Project website

4 comments:

KirkK said...

My goodness; a public toilet project and "trail"! Only in Japan.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, this sounds like a tour plan for one of my trips!

but, food and toilets, ahahaha!
v

jalna said...

❤️ this outing!

K and S said...

Kirk, was interesting to see

V, :)

Jalna, glad you enjoyed :)

Take care everyone.
Kat