Thursday, May 09, 2024

jins vs zoff

I’ve been a fan of JINS for some time now. (photo from 2021 Kat’s glasses JINS, Satoshi’s ZOFF)

Whenever people ask me where to buy their glasses in Japan, I usually recommend JINS

Well the other day I brought my prescription to JINS to make a pair of glasses and also a pair of sunglasses

Unfortunately after picking out frames and waiting in line so they could check the positioning of the frames to my face

They tell me, “your prescription says “glasses”, you need a separate prescription for sunglasses”..WT?!

“Call your eye doctor and if they approve to add sunglasses to your prescription then we’ll make them”

Well, it was GW (Golden Week) so my eye doctor was not open...boo

We told them, can't you just make the sunglasses without the prescription?! (because most people just go to make glasses without prescriptions)

They said, "no, we already "saw" the prescription, so we cannot pretend we didn't see it"

I haven’t had sunglasses made in many years so maybe the rules changed?

Still, this didn’t sit well with me or Satoshi, so we went to ZOFF, another eyeglasses shop.

Showed them my prescription, the guy we talked to was with another customer, so he told us to look at frames and he’d go and find out if my prescription could also be used to make sunglasses 

So we looked at frames and he came and told us, it’ll take 2 weeks to make but if we were okay with that, they could do it…ha!

I ordered my glasses and sunglasses and then on Tuesday, when everyone returned from GW, I called my eye doctor 

They said they didn't see anything wrong with ordering glasses and sunglasses with the prescription they gave me and that I didn't need a separate prescription.

So...JINS is super strict/picky?!

strange yeah?! 

1st world problems...

7 comments:

jenny said...

Whaaaa? Jins even took my order when I just wrote it on a piece of paper lol. How odd they would be so strict about that? And is there a different prescription for sunglasses??? Hmm, I should check zoff out when I go back to Japan!

Anonymous said...

I know so many people who order glasses in Japan. I think JINS is the one they mention. When I tried, I was told it would take too long because I need all kind of special lenses because my vision is so bad.
But, I'm waiting for a cataract referral so my optometrist wouldn't give me a new prescription since after cataract surgery, need different types of lenses. But this is since January!!! I cannot see!!!
v

Rowena said...

ooof, that's hilarious πŸ˜‚ that they couldn't unsee what has been seen. πŸ₯ΈπŸ€“πŸ˜Ž

Anonymous said...

What,s the difference,there is no difference. Well, they lost a sale.
Curious Kat, ever considered transistion lens?
Bonny OGG

K and S said...

no separate prescription for sunglasses Jenny :(

V, hope you can get your glasses made soon

Rowena :(

Bonny, they only started making them here recently, will definitely look into it the next time

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

That is so weird Kat.......different prescription for sunglasses doesn't make sense.

K and S said...

Kirk :p

Take care.
Kat